Damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have damp showing on my front wall. Last year thinking it was rising damp, I injected it with silicon liquid, and I can see the dryer area below the damp part. Also there is a patch just below the picture rail, which says to me it might be falling damp. There are two airbricks in this damp part of wall, but there is an area 1ft square of crumbling bricks on the outside wall above the damp course line. Last year I painted the front of the house and didn't see any where that the rain could penetrate, although I know it only takes a small amount to drip inside.

Does anyone have any ideas, what might cause this please?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
A photo of the outside would be helpful and I would also suggest looking under the floorboards in that corner.

A photo of the outside would be helpful and I would also suggest looking under the floorboards in that corner.

I'll do that.

Does it make any difference that there is a damp spot 6Ft up?

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Hmm.... six foot. It makes you wonder if there is a cast iron rain water pipe there with water spewing out the back of it at the joints where it rarely gets properly maintained.

Here is a photo of the crumbling bricks nearly opposite to the damp patch. If it isn't clear, the bricks are soft and the re-pointing is falling out.

When I get time, I'll cut out one of the airbricks and get a little camera in the cavity to have a better look.

What do you think could be happening?

Cheers, Camerart

I'd be inclined to drop the ground level near that air brick......could be rain water be splashing up from that step?
Another pic of the general area would be handy!
John :)

Well no RWP to worry about.

Are the canted bricks in the corner a little green? if so I would still wonder if you have water spilling down the wall there. Possible source would be the bay window roof. or something in line with that part of the wall.

Next time it is pouring with rain go out and have a look.

Thanks Burnerman and Blagard,

I'll drop the ground down a bit. You ask for another pic of the general area, do you mean the wall area or the garden?

What does RWP mean is it 'rain water penetration'? I'll check again when it's raining.

If the rain does wet the outer wall how does it cross the cavity gap? I was wondering if the could be debris connecting the path?

The patch inside is drying out, and it did rain a lot last week!

Cheers, Camerart.

<snipped>What does RWP mean is it 'rain water penetration'? I'll check again when it's raining.

If the rain does wet the outer wall how does it cross the cavity gap? I was wondering if the could be debris connecting the path?

Sorry my bad. RWP is short for Rain Water Pipe and you have none there to worry about. - I had previously took a guess they could be one there.

But do check the outside in a good down pour, it can be very revealing!

You may not have a true cavity wall, just the gaps even a solid wall has. So if your wall is like that, there are plenty of places for soaking brickwork to pass water through to the inside.

Sorry my bad. RWP is short for Rain Water Pipe and you have none there to worry about. - I had previously took a guess they could be one there.

But do check the outside in a good down pour, it can be very revealing!

You may not have a true cavity wall, just the gaps even a solid wall has. So if your wall is like that, there are plenty of places for soaking brickwork to pass water through to the inside.[/quote]

Aha! The RWP is next door.

All i want now is a rainy day :)

Cheers, Camerart.

Do you get Mould on the wall?
Rising damp (i.e Faulty Damp proof course) can sometimes draw with it a lot of salts which inhibit the growth of mould.

The fact that you can see a lot of the brinks in this area have spalled shows that during wet weather these brick are not drying and as such during the freeze thaw process are breaking up. the loss of the face of a brick does prevent it from blocking the ingress of water somewhat which could be exacerbating the issue.

What is the “white block” in the top of the picture? And could you take a picture showing much more of the elevation? This may help with a diagnosis.

Do you get Mould on the wall?
Rising damp (i.e Faulty Damp proof course) can sometimes draw with it a lot of salts which inhibit the growth of mould.

The fact that you can see a lot of the brinks in this area have spalled shows that during wet weather these brick are not drying and as such during the freeze thaw process are breaking up. the loss of the face of a brick does prevent it from blocking the ingress of water somewhat which could be exacerbating the issue.

What is the “white block” in the top of the picture? And could you take a picture showing much more of the elevation? This may help with a diagnosis.

No mould, but it's rare for the damp to show as much as it is in the photos, it's normally a few inches of slight damp, but it has rained a lot!

The white block is the window cill, that can be seen in the top photo.

Here's a larger photo.

Cheers, Camerart.

Hmmmm....

There does "seem" to be some issues with the pointing and possibly some further spalled bricks further up the elevation that could be allowing the ingress of water.

Looking at the top patch, that seems to be some where near the arch above your door, could water be collecting above this and finding its way inside?

If your not getting mould and the damp only occours when the rain is really driving I would suggest investigating your pointing... whats the roof wall/ gutter junction like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back