Damp one side of wall

I thought you said that you've "stripped the plaster board out"?

Whats "not drying out" - the p/board (or the wall)?

Anyway, if I understand whats going on then you should strip all of the stained plasterboard - all of it.

Your problems are not your p/board but the underlying cause(s) of any condensation, rising or penetrating damp.

Hi V,

I stripped the plasterboard at the other end of the room, this area feels dry and powdery. Before plaster boarding the whole room, I had soaked the walls with silicon wall sealer.

The darker part of the plasterboard in the photo is damp. If you check the photos one side of the wall (With toilet) is dry and the other side is wet, so I suspect the plasterboard is still damp, and perhaps not the wall. The damp is only where there are quarry tiles!

I think you are probably correct! I think I'll strip the damp parts off and paint it with shower sealer. I know it's not a perfect solution.

C.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I dried a section of the damp plasterboard, and a day later is was damp again, so the damp is rising up the wall:(

I think the quarry tiles are bridging the damp course.

As before, I am going to strip 2Ft of plasterboard, (almost twice as far as the damp) then paint the wall with screwfix Aquaprufe, and the inside of the new plasterboard with silicon.

I hope the damp stays only as high as it is, then I'll just have to put up with a only dampish room.

C.

Hi,
I've stripped off the plaster and the bottom bricks are damp.
The other side of the wall in the neighbours house and shown in the photo Post #14, which appears to verify tht it is the quarry tiles bridging the water up.
I've decided to inject the walls with DPC fluid.
NOTE: I'm opening another thread, because there are electrical cables involved.
C.

Hi,
I think the problem is solved at last.

The tiles were laid in the 40s, and are about 2 inches above the slate damp course. I tried drilling the bottom row of bricks and injecting water based damp course fluid, but it wouldn't go in. (I used gravity, which should be ok)

I spoke to a professional, who told me that the fluid won't go in beause they are already soaked, and suggested injecting into dry bricks higher up the wall, then tanking up from the quarry tiles to above the injected bricks.

I got the idea of cutting a channel 1/2-1inch from the wall down past the damp course slate and 'tanking' down between the slate and the quarry tiles.

Cutting the quarry tiles with a diamond disk is not for the feint hearted, as every thing will disappear and once cleared will be covvered with tile dust. Seal the rest of the house well.

Here's a photo showing the slate and the drying bricks.

Now I've got to find a barrier product to fill the channel. (I'll post here, once dried and successful

Cheers, Camerart.

Attachments

• Barrier.png
    Barrier.png
    25 KB · Views: 103
  • Damp course.png
    Damp course.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Two months later, success, dry walls.

The products I tried were: Injection fluid, Siliconate K which must be handled very carefully, and I would have had to tank up to the injected bricks.
and: the one I used, PRS-Ultra Bondacryl, which appears to be latex, but I paid the full price for the product, and of course it has worked.

Thanks to all.

Camerart.

Attachments

• Dry wall.png
    Dry wall.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back