yet another motor question

FWL_Engineer said:
in domestics they are BS1361 fuses, the same as you have in a plug..Only a darn sight bigger!!

Errrrm... You don't have fuses to BS 1361 in plugs. They are either to BS1362 or they are a nail... ;)

Sponsored Links
Nice spotting of the typo Stoday!! Corrected origianl post and gave credit to you for spotting mistake..Many Thanks.

Damn..is all I can say.. :D

i'm sure i've heared of a 13A bs1362 in a 5A wylex standard bs1361 holder dunno if its posible to go the other way

btw how do a BS88 and a BS1361 of the same rating differ?

plugwash said:
btw how do a BS88 and a BS1361 of the same rating differ?

To be honest I am not 100% sure as I have never really delved into it to deeply, but I believe that the basic difference is the Rupture Capacity of the Fuse. BS88's are HRC (High Rupture Capacity) Fuses, whereas BS1362's are not. This is to do with the amount of current that can be drawn through the fuse for an initial period before it will blow, similar to the Type ratings for MCB's. The 1362's would be a Type B, but a BS88 would be a Type D, if you see my point. But there could be other technical differences as well that are buried in the wording of the British Standard that relates to the particular type.

Sponsored Links
when i was taught at college BS88 was a sealed fuse in a substance such as sand(probably special type but can't remember after so long) and so able to withstand a much higher breaking capacity without the capsule exploding, whereas the BS1362 fuse was merely wire encapsulated within a capsule/ cylinder try breaking one open and you'll see no filler inside these fuses we were told were no better spec than a rewireable fuse and to be treated as such the endcaps are merely pushed on rather than properly sealed like BS88, in other words they deteriorate in a reletively short period and cannot be relied upon to take their rated current specifications after a time period whereas BS88 is not so susceptible to deterioration.

Thanks Kendor, that makes sense and does ring a bell. I'm sure I was told that at college, but one of those things you tend to forget when you don't think about it all the time.

The sand in question your thinking of is Silica Sand.

FWL_Engineer said:
The sand in question your thinking of is Silica Sand.
thanks, as you say the old grey matter is prone to archiving information not regularly used but often needed at a moments notice. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back