Ceiling fan has slowed down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I have 3 of these ceiling fans/lights. Here is a link to the fan: https://is.gd/mNrV62
I have had them for about 5 years. They have 3 speed settings. One of them slowed down to about half of the speed that it should be.
I have cleaned all of the dust off the 3 blades. That didn't change anything.
So then I opened it up and removed the remote control motor capacitor. It was an AA2002-9E like the one in the following ebay link: https://is.gd/AVYy8K

I swapped the old one out with a new one and the speed was still slow. Is there anything else that this can be?

I can hear the motor trying to work hard but for what ever reason it isn't happening.

Sponsored Links
That link shows a box, which I'm assuming is some kind of remote controlled relay. I'd be very surprised if there's a capacitor in there, the capacitor/s is/are likely to be inside the fan somewhere and may not be easily replaceable.

Sponsored Links
@timbook As you have three of these fans. Suggest you firstly swop the control for another one. That will tell you if it is the controller or the fan itself. I'm assuming that all three fans dont run from the same controler!

@timbook As you have three of these fans. Suggest you firstly swop the control for another one. That will tell you if it is the controller or the fan itself. I'm assuming that all three fans dont run from the same controler!
They each have their own remote control and all three remote controls work on all three fans.
From the replies above, I am assuming that it is still a capacitor issue then. I was (probably incorrectly) under the impression that the capacitor would be easily accessed for replacement. And so I assumed that the motor I removed would have the capacitor included in it, but it looks like I was wrong. The most common failure on ceiling fans is a capacitor. You would think that they would make it easier to access. :(

They each have their own remote control and all three remote controls work on all three fans.
From the replies above, I am assuming that it is still a capacitor issue then. I was (probably incorrectly) under the impression that the capacitor would be easily accessed for replacement. And so I assumed that the motor I removed would have the capacitor included in it, but it looks like I was wrong. The most common failure on ceiling fans is a capacitor. You would think that they would make it easier to access. :(
What you removed is not the motor, the motor is what turns the fan. It helps if you know the basics about terminology when trying to describe problems.

I did link the item. Fair enough I don't know the terminology, but this is a DIY forum

I did link the item. Fair enough I don't know the terminology, but this is a DIY forum
I know, that was a bit sarky. As I said, I don't know whether it is a serviceable item on your particular fan but if you open up the motor housing you may find you can replace the capacitor. Have a look at this guide to give you an idea of where the capacitor might be located. It can be identified by the microfarad symbol µF on the side. Give it at least half an hour to discharge before working on it if it has been running in case it's still holding charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back