wobbling ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've fitted a ceiling fan and it all works fine apart from the very large amount of wobbling it does. The instructions said it would wobble for a bit when first fitted but I don't think it is supposed to go about 1 inch off centre at high speed. I've checked that all the blades are fitted correctly and haven't got bent out of shape and there all fine and the mounting plate is secured tightly to the ceiling.

I have fitted the same fan in other rooms and have had no problems with

Does anyone have any sugestions as to what I can do to stop the wobbling?

video of fan at full speed

Video of fan at middle speed

Video of fan at slow speed

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you have installed the fan correctly as per stated by the fitting instructions then i would suggest returning the fan for either an exchange or refund.

as said by rms check its fitted properly

with it on medium speed try bringing you hands together slowly trying to support the base of the globe and see how much vibration transfers to your hand

you need to stop it around the central axsis off the orbit if its off centre it wont like it

if you have little or no vibration its a fixing thing
if it still vibrates in your hands its a ballance thing or somthing running out of true[bent shaft for example]

But be careful if you go back to the shop.

I went into a shop complaining of a bent shaft and the young female assistant called the police - boy, did I have a lot of explaining to do...

Especially as the steel rod was in my pocket, and I had a hell of a job getting it out to show her...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:

I went into a shop complaining of a bent shaft and the young female assistant called the police - boy, did I have a lot of explaining to do...

Especially as the steel rod was in my pocket, and I had a hell of a job getting it out to show her...

dont be so f ckin dirty :)

securespark said:

:LOL: :LOL:

I was thinking how about swap the blades around, seriously, it must be spinning out of balance so perhaps one blade weighs slightly more than others

thanks for the help guys. got it sorted. looks like one of the brackets for the fan blades isnt uniform to the others. took 2 of the blades off and it runs fine now so I can live with that. good job its being used in a small room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back