Yet another washing machine in the garage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved house and would like to re-locate my washing machine to the garage. It doesn't have water yet, but I think I can get that from the bathroom (upstairs).

My real concern is the garage also has a lack of drainage.

My plan at the moment is to run the waste along the length of wall (inside) the garage, through the frame of the garage door and into a (standard) drainpipe.

It has to be inside the garage as the house is semi detached and this is the joining wall.

When I get to the frame of the garage door I'm simply planning to cut the frame as necessary and make it good with expanding foam or something similar. I've checked the mechanics of the garage door and this plan shouldn't cause a problem there.

I guess my first question is... I take it I'm allowed to put the waste into the drainpipe? Drainage is drainage right? (I'm only asking this as a result of reading some other posts in this forum).

My real question is a concern about the height of the drop versus the length the waste has to travel.

The waste pipe will be about 4.5 metres long and will start at a height of a kitchen unit (dropping to a height of approx 15 cm).
Is that drop sufficient for gravity to do it's thing?

Will I need U bends? or traps or anything like that or can I just run the waste straight down the pipe?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

DIY C.

Sponsored Links
Drainage is not drainage! Without investigating it is not possible to say where your rainfall downpipes run to - they may go to the sewer or they may run to a storm water drainage syatem. They may even just run into soakaways. Your washing machine should discharge into the sewerage system so the waste water can be treated (if you're lucky!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back