Yet another water supply pipe query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The very old 2" cast iron water pipe into my cellar has finally let go - spraying in the wall. So I'm in the middle of replacing it with 25mm MDPE.

Check out the tasty iron pipe...

View media item 100693
Where the water pipe used to come through the wall is at about the same depth as 80cm under the garden. The second pic below shows the old supply pipe stub covered in a red rag just before it goes under my garden wall / boundary.

Before I changed anything...
View media item 100691
Now.....
View media item 100692
I'm a bit unsure of the best way to change the MDPE pipe to running vertically once it comes through the wall.

Is it better to 1) run the MDPE through a 110mm bend so a 25-22mm stopcock is the first fitting
2) use a 25mm MDPE bend to change from horizontal to running up the wall, but that would mean a leak from the bend would come before the stopcock

or is there any other way I could do it... like connecting the MDPE pipe to a flange just after the pipe comes through the wall and then fastening a bend to the flange (like the cast iron pipe used to be)

sorry for so many words :)

Sponsored Links
It’s obviously better to have no fittings between the supplier stopcock and your internal stopcock, but not always possible!
If you can do this, by sleeving it through a conduit and forming a radius in the mdpe that does not crease it, then all’s good.
But if you do need an elbow... not a biggie as long as it’s leak-free when you test it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back