Getting 32mm MDPE to behave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A while ago the original water main (2" cast iron pipe) decided to spring a leak in cavity wall.

The house has a full length cellar so rather than the supply pipe coming up vertically into the property, it runs under the front garden at a depth of 80cm just before it goes through the stone outer wall, through the cavity and emerges from the inner wall about 50cm above the cellar floor.

I replaced the old pipe with 32mm MDPE running through a 110mm soil pipe liner and a fashioned a long bend in the soil pipe to convert from running horizontal to vertical on the inside. I used 32mm MDPE because none of the rubber seals I could find to fit into the ends of the 110mm duct reduced down to 25mm only to 32mm or 40mm.

View media item 100693
View media item 100691
View media item 100692
Now I'm trying to fix the MDPE to the internal pipework, but it has so much strength that I'm having no success fastening it up to the wall within 20cm to 30cm of where it emerges. Is there a knack to working & bending this pipe?

View media item 101962
View media item 101963
Am beginning to think I should ditch the long bend idea and try something else.

Any ideas or advice would be more than appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is the cap stopping it? Mines in 25mm but I just used a standard blanking cap and cut an off centre hole in it. Water board were happy with it:
IMG_20181003_095553819.jpg

Otherwise knock a bit more brick out and push it further back into the wall.

What about a 32mm 90 bend inside a tighter 110mm bend?

What about a 32mm 90 bend inside a tighter 110mm bend?

Wow. Hadn't thought of that. :D

The best I thought of is using a 32 to 25 coupler before the bend, then a 25mm wall plate adaptor (normally for outside taps) on the inside wall. That's only because I haven't seen any 32mm wall plates.

Sponsored Links
heat gun and gently does it or hairdryer on high heat and tease it into the desired radius, if you fill it with sand then you can get it into a tighter radius without kinking.

What size is the connection to the supplier? Not 32mm I reckon so a reduction won't matter a jot.

It's 25mm MDPE from the main to the boundary wall.

I wanted to avoid converting to 25mm before the internal wall as it would mean having a fitting in the cavity.

It's 25mm MDPE from the main to the boundary wall.

I wanted to avoid converting to 25mm before the internal wall as it would mean having a fitting in the cavity.

Eh? So it's all 25mm? :confused:

Eh? So it's all 25mm? :confused:

The communication pipe from the main (running along the road) to my boundary wall and external stoptap is 25mm MDPE. The supply pipe from the boundary wall into my property is 32mm MDPE.

Only when Morrison Utilities dug up the side of the road did they remember the communication pipe had been changed to 25mm MDPE within the last 10 years. Prior to that I'd been told a number of times it was still 2" cast iron.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back