Zanussi IZ16 washing machine not filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 5yr old washer (approx.) that i think has recently not been filling properly. I first noticed that the conditioner tray was not emptying and so i cleaned the tray and the tray enclosure. That didn't work so I tried watering down the conditioner. That didn't work so i tested the siphon and that did siphon, but still didn't empty the conditioner tray.
Then more recently i noticed that the drum didn't fill anywhere near the same level as it used to (i'm sure it used to get full enough to see water on the door!). So I checked that the cold water hose was not kinked, that the drain was clear, that the water pressure to the machine was adequate (about 3.5 bar) and that the inlet filters were clear. Still it refuses to fill properly.
Can anyone suggest what I should check next?
Most other threads I read suggest the inlet valve, but I would like to know how to test them before ordering a new one (if that's the suggestion).

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
inlet valve is not faulty, as it lets water in anyway.

from what you've said so far i would take the pipe from the sump hose to the pressure switch and give it a clean, whilst there clean a few other pipes while there too.
put back together, run a hot wash with nothing in it except a drop of bleach .
that should do you, if not pressre switch could be at fault

Check continuity of the coils on the water inlet valves, if they are open circuit the valve coil has failed

there are more than one inlet valve on the machines (depend on model it could be 2 or 3 in a bank)

possible that the rinse one has failed.

Ok, Thanks for the suggestions. I can certainly test the coils without too much trouble as they are easily accessible. You say 'open circuit', that's infinity right? I noticed the other day that there were two valves and they are both easily accessible in the top back left of the machine, so I only need to take the top off to get at them.

I had a quick look at the pressure switch the other day when I had the top off and although I identified it in the machine I couldn't see where the bottom of the hose went to. Do you know if I have to take the side panels off as well as the top to access the base of the hose?

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Took the top and back off today to get a look at the 'bottle' on the drain where the pressure switch tube connects. It was a little gunky inside, but not too bad, and after cleaning i was able to blow in it to increase the pressure and hence hear the pressure switch click.

I didn't ge time to check the continuity of the inlet valve solenoids, so that'll have to wait for another day.

I've got it on a hot (90 deg) wash with some bleach in it to hopefully clear out the gunk a bit.

Any ideas how full the tub should get with water during a normal wash? I seem to remember that it used to get a third to half way up the door but now it doesn't even get that far. Can anyone confirm?

Mike

not far up . on a 90 very little 40 bit more 60 just below the door seal at the bottom. on wool wash quite a bit about a 1/3 up the door.

It sounds like the machine is actually filling up as expected. I might go and run it through a wool cycle to see if it does fill up with more water. If that's the case then I just need to sort out the powder/conditioner tray.

Anyone agree or disagree to using cocktail sticks to poke into the nozzles above the powder/conditioner tray to aid cleaning? I don't know what's in the water feed system above to know if this is likely to damage anything.

Mike

cup brush or bottle brush will be better.

I've used an old tooth brush before (when the trouble first started) but that didn't get into the nozzles enough (i'm presuming). I think that a cup brush or bottle brush would have similar results, or is it how i use it that's a problem? Not sure. Advice appreciated.

Mike

its bigger for starters its like a tooth brush but 20 times bigger it will get into the little holes no prob.

Ah, I see. I guess i'd call that a washing up brush, but then it's only a name i've given it as I don't know what it's really called.

Anyway, an update...
I had the lid off again last night and could see through the top of the powder drawer enough to see that it wasn't all blocked up. I also took the inlet valves off and was able to test the continuity of the coils (all ok). whilst the inlet values were off I blew down the pipes and was able to feel the air coming out of the powder drawer. In short, all seemed ok.
I reassembled the lot and put it through a wool cycle and not only did it fill the tub up more than I had been seeing (hadn't checked wool cycle before) but I was also able to see that water was pumped through the conditioner tray. Hurray! I'll test again tomorrow with conditioner in the tray as well to see if it works on other cycles.
It seems that taking it apart and putting it back together *may* have sorted the problem.

Thanks to you all for your tips.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back