Zanussi .. leaking badly from pump filter cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fix my daughter's Zanussi washing machine .. FLA1001W .. 5 years old.

Original symptom .. water starting to leak onto floor a few seconds after drum starts filling.

I inspected the machine today and found that the hose at back of soap dispenser had come loose (compression clip had come loose). This would explain original water leak.

So I fixed that with a new jubilee clip around the hose instead of the original compression clip which was difficult to replace.

But, on testing again with water infill, a new leak appeared underneath from the filter pump inspection cover (bottom right of machine). One fault solved, a new problem popping up!

I inspected the pump filter, and the rubber seal, but there was no obvious damage anywhere. Pump sump hose was filled with water.

Screwed the filter cover home, as tight as it could go by hand, tried to fill drum again, and water still poured out of one of the two holes in the screw cover. In the circular, screwable filter cap, there are two holes with a screw in centre.

Others have been trying to get this washing machine working and I'm wondering if the filter screw cover (plastic) might have been cross threaded or whatever, causing a poor seal. But I can't see any damage.

If it was just a damaged rubber seal I would expect just a trickle of leaking water, but no .. the water pours out of one of the holes.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this last part of the leak?

What would cause this leak?

Is a replacement of filter cover adviseable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have solved my problem .. I hope.

As explained above I picked up the washing machine leak (after an earlier attempt by another to locate the leak and clean the filter).

I assumed that the rubber seal (which was wrapped around the flange in the inner filter assembly) was in the correct position. Indeed it seems the logical place for the rubber seal, since there is a recess in seal for fitting around the flange.

But this does not provide a good enough seal ... water gushed out.

I removed the rubber seal from the filter flange and simply placed it loose between the flange and the outer screw cover.

This made a better compression seal when cover screwed home by hand, and no leaks from this area (as occurred before).

But I'm not sure if this is the correct fitting and if a new seal should be bought and wrapped round the filter flange. Can anyone confirm the correct fitting of this seal?

So I had two faults to solve .. (a) the hose breaking loose from the soap dispenser outlet and (b) the pump filter rubber seal incorrectly fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back