Zanussi Nexus FL-884 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Zanussi FL-844 has problems finishing its programmes. Until a few weeks ago, it hadn't being used at all for a year, prior to which it worked fine. I moved it into my new house (yep, involving some tilting, and I never had transit bolts for it anyway) and gave it a good clean (including a "maintenance wash"), but it frequently stops at one place on the dial, and never completes the final drain of the programme. One time I heard it "stop" - there was quite a bit of clicking, then the power light went out.

When it stops, you have to turn the power off for a little while before it will restart (I move it onto the next programme and it seems to know it has water in). It then completes the programme (bar the final drain) without problem. Spin etc. works fine, so it's not a motor problem. Water fill/drain etc. also seems to work without problem.

Any ideas? I don't know the names of anything inside the machine, but should I look for some contacts to clean around the dial area?

And a second question: this washer has always leaked slightly when starting its spin. An old baking tray underneath is a cheap and effective solution, but does this sound like the rubber seal at the front needs changing? Is that an easy job for an amateur like me?

And bearing in mind both problems: Is it worth keeping a machine like this going (on the grounds that they don't make them like they used to) or would a new one pay for itself with reduced electricity consumption? (Reduced water consumption is also good, but wouldn't pay as we're not metered!) I haven't invested any money in the machine yet (it was free a few years ago, on account of the slight leak) so I'm not attached to it on those grounds...

Alastair

Sponsored Links
where exactly does it stop?

as for door seals, if your m/c is that old you may not be able to get one.

an old trick was to take door seal off and put it back upside down

It sometimes stops between programs H and J, which are the delicates programmes. The only difference is that H is 40 degrees, J 30, and they're not far apart on the dial. As it's not sitting there for ages before stopping, and sometimes doesn't stop there, I'm assuming that it's not a water heating problem. The water is in by this point, but it's before the rinsing cycle. The other place it always stops is just before N, which drains the water and ends the programme. When manually moved to N it works fine.

A quick net search suggests I can still get a door gasket for just over £23. And that the washer had an RRP of £429 in 1997. But if I want a new timer etc. unit, it will set me back £135... and a new motor amusingly is £225.

Alastair

cant be sure for your brand, but it sounds like pressure switch, wollen progs have more water, so have differnt setting on pressure switch

also pressure switch says when ok to spin.(drum empty)

i am not saying 100% its pressure switch but it may be, could also be pressure chamber blocked, but i dont think so

Sponsored Links
Thans for the suggestion - would this fit with the fact that when it stops just before draining, I can turn it manually to drain or spin and it will drain fine and then start spinning without problem? Although having said that it always seems to drain for a lot longer than there is water in the drum or coming out... always has - I just assumed this was normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back