Zanussi Nexus FL.1084 washing machine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have had a recent problem with my Zanussi Nexus FL.1084, during a normal wash the fuse tripped out. I had to turn it back on at the mains, and then i replaced the plugs fuse with a new fuse as the power on the machine was not working. This turned on the power to the machine, but the programs didn't work or get the door open, which was a problem as the machine was still filled with water n clothes. Managed to get door open and drain, (without breaking the door) ...but the machine door light still does not come on when i try to start machine and nethier does any of the programs... Any information regarding my problem would be extremly grateful, Cheers dave.

Sponsored Links
You've probably worked out by now that if you lay the drain hose on the floor and into a bucket you can drain the machine, you will need to get all of the water out as the water level interlocks the front door. This may be why the door light is on.

Did you blow the fuse in the plug and the mcb? Either one, let alone both, sounds bad to me.

Do you know what the machine was doing when it went - if it was heating the element could be responsible. Check for nails and screws and the like that DIYers leave in pockets. These get stuck in the drum holes and whack the element each time the drum rotates until there's a hole.

If I had to bet what's gone I'd say the motor controller. Get the machine drained right down. (don't blame me when you flood the kitchen) Then try to get the machine to do a rinse. Chances are it will blow the fuse again when it trys to turn the motor.

If it does run the motor, stop it and put it on a drain cycle (I'm assuming its got something similar to my old Zanussi FL853 "N" cycle). Then try a 40 deg wash and see if you can hear the heater start kettling after the filling has completed.

Was it wet inside? The most common fault on my old machine was that the water level switch would get choked with detergent, it would spin while full of water and spray water out through the filler / top vent. (It used to drop me right in it since I assurred her it wouldn't happen again.)

If the fuse went when the motor should have turned - I'd guess motor controller.

If it went when it should have started heating - element.

If was wet inside let it dry and see what happens. If, when filling, the water level exceeds half way up the door, the level switch is bunged up. Drain it, clear the filter trap (front of the machine bottom right). Inside with the top off you should see a black rubber hose from the bottom of the machine to the level switch (with the top off - top, rear, middle right). Pull the hose off the switch, attach a bicycle pump to the end of the hose (not the level switch) and blow it through. If it fills OK (20mm up the door) drain it and run a boil wash with a washing machine descaler dose in the drum.

If you want to replace the element or motor controller it's a risk, you can never be 100% sure.

It may be brushes as zipper suggests, I had a brush problem where it sounded like it was struggling to get to full spin speed - mine didn't take the fuse out though.

One last but most important point. In my opinion washing machines are the most dangerous appliances to work on. They are full of sharp edges with mains everywhere. If you get a shock in there you'll rip your arm apart on the way out. Check it's unpluged, check it over and over. It is so easy when you try something / test / try something / test to leave it plugged. Use a plugin RCD, get someone to watch you and tell them not to let you take the lid off with it plugged in. You can still get a shock of the filter or even worse the motor controller capacitors 10 minutes after you unplugged it.

Good luck
A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back