Zanussi FL 1084 washing machine bearing replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the bearings in our Zanussi FL 1084 (or is it FL
1084 AL ?) washing machine were starting to make a terrible noise, I
decided to act before things got really nasty ! I've
extracted the guts of it, and split the outer casing.
I am currently trying to remove the inner drum by
sitting the outer drum half on blocks of wood (inner
drum hanging downwards) and drifting the shaft through
the bearing. Now either my lump hammer is getting
lighter or there maybe something I need to know about
the bearing arrangement, but the shaft is just level
with the inner race of the outer bearing, and doesn't
seem to want to go any further. I guess that I may be
worrying about nothing and just need to hit it harder
(!!), but I thought that I would ask just in case ....
!!

Sponsored Links
Going to get pretty expensive now.
The inner bearing is stuck fast to the inner drum shaft. I'd wager that the shaft is damaged so you'll be looking at a new inner drum with spider, tub seal and new bearings.

Going to get pretty expensive now.
The inner bearing is stuck fast to the inner drum shaft. I'd wager that the shaft is damaged so you'll be looking at a new inner drum with spider, tub seal and new bearings.

Got the drum out of the rear half casing O.K. (just needed more thumping !)- the inner bearing had completed disintegrated (as I suspected). In fact, half of the inner race had left it's seating and was thrashing around in the middle of the spindle - the rest of it was rubble !!! Unfortunately, some had got trapped under the seal and has scored the spindle in that area, so it's a new spider now as well as bearings ! Oh well ...... !!

Having resigned myself to replacing the spider, I have, unfortunately, got one the 6 bolts, VERY reluctant to move - head is now rubbish, so may have to drill it off. However, my main concern is the dipples in the drum at the spider leg positions that take the 6 countersink bolts. Even with ALL 6 bolts removed, I can't see how the spider will release without some sort of distortion to the drum (specifically, the dipples surely must "disappear" by some means !!) Can anyone throw any light on this potential "problem" and how to overcome it ???

Sponsored Links
Sorry, always replaced inner drum complete with spider.
It's O.K. - got it out. For anyone else facing this, just drive 3 screwdriver blades down between any spider leg and the drum, and then lever the spider leg over the dimples (a bit of bruising on the drum innards, but who looks in there anyway !!!)

Not sure if anyone's still reading this thread but just wondered if anyone knows how to remove the inner bearing if its disintegrated?

All the videos show someone knocking it out from behind with a heavy chisel but when it's disintegrated, there's knowing to bang against from the back of the tub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back