Zanussi ZWD 1680W E51: Motor power triac short-circuited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Updated: E51: Motor power triac short-circuited

Well until today its been a great machine.

It tripped the rcd two min into the 40 degree cycle, turned it back on and the display was showing 1.23 of program left with start/pause button flashing and no response if you pushed it.

I've unplugged for 10 min and door unlocks/locks fine, manually drained and checked the filter. It seems its just stuck at the start/pause flashing.

Before I call out an engineer any diag steps I can take or ways I can get error codes out?

Many thanks in anticipation.

NB. this does have an LCD

Sponsored Links
I've updated the original post as after finding the diag process I have found I'm getting the following error.

E51: Motor power triac short-circuited

Now I need to find a service manual or a guide on how to diag the motor, guessing its probably the wiring or motor faulty as I'm guessing earth leakage is causing the RCD to trip.

NB: I used this guide //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1107983

Sponsored Links
You were lucky to find that link, normally this kind of thing is trade only. It must have leaked into the public domain. Although the error codes are fairly standard I can't confirm that manual is the right one for your model. To answer model specific questions you need to post the PNC number on the door sticker.
In general badly worn motor brushes or a build up of carbon dust can cause your rcd to trip, so can a faulty motor winding. Worn & arcing brushes can also wreck your pcb (motor triac). There are other scenarios but in short you need to check both motor & pcb.

Thanks, I guess my GoogleFu was good today!!

The no. in the door is 914601638 | 00

I'll pull the machine out later and have a look at the pcb and motor, I'll grab multimeter and compressed air out and have a look.

Seeing that a replacement motor is very expensive, and the machine is over 5 yrs old, if its not a relatively cheap fix I think it may be sensible just to get a new washer dryer.

If you are really lucky the motor may only need a clean up & brushes. However that probably still leaves you with a fried pcb issue http://www.espares.co.uk/parts?k=1321571711 Note this module can't be purchased pre-programmed. It has to be configured by a service tech before you can use the machine.

Thank you so much for your help, but i think due to the costs of parts, and possible labour, I may have a quick clean, check all the connections for corrosion etc... then probably buy a new one, as I can't see pumping anything over £100-150 into a 5yr+ machine being sensible.

Thank you again, you have been a real help.

The configuration process isn't that complicated but the correct parameters need to be written onto the Eeprom in the correct sequence. I can walk you through the process if need be...but I can't do it on an public forum. You'll have to send me a message with a valid email if you do decide to replace/configure the pcb.

Thank you so much, if I find I need to go down that route, that would be very very helpful.

thanks again for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back