Zero pressure in central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reattached a radiator last night as I had been doing some painting behind it.

However, once I had done this the pressure in the central heating system dropped to zero. I then increased the pressure in the system by opening slightly the cold water tap to the combi boiler and closing it once the pressure had reached the correct level. This had the effect of making the central heating work again, however, the overflow pipe from the boiler started to drip.

This morning, there was no central heating or hot water and the outflow pipe was still dripping.

Is there any way that I can fix this problem without calling out a heating engineer?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
TobyShadow said:
I then increased the pressure in the system by opening slightly the cold water tap to the combi boiler and closing it once the pressure had reached the correct level.

What was the pressure you put into the boiler. It should have been around 1 bar. It sounds like you have overfilled to over 3 bar and caused the PRV to operate :eek:

Tried to get it to 1.5 bar as suggested by DIY manuals. I assume that it went beyond this due to the dripping.

However, I assume the pressure had dropped to zero this morning although I couldn't get to the boiler as my lodger was sleeping at the time. Cold showers all round!

If I set it at 1.5 bar this evening, should this solve the problems?

It's an Ariston Combi Boiler by the way.

sounds like your putting to much water in boiler,fill it to about (1 bar)

Sponsored Links
Remember if you bleed a radiator the pressure will drop, also the pressure will rise about 0.8 bar ( depending on the total volume of water)when the system gets hot because the water expands.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back