Zero pressure on boiler after removing radiators. Can't fill the system using the filling loop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forum members,

First time posting here, so please bear with me.

My problem: I have removed three radiators to decorate behind them (they are still off at the moment). I have zero pressure on my Vaillant Thermocompact boiler. I have read I need to top up the system to get the pressure back to 1/1.5. After finding the filling loop situated in the airing cupboard next to the hot cylinder tank, I cannot see how to fill up the system. From the two photos of my filling loop, it has only one valve that I can turn with a flat head screw driver. It is the ballafix isolating valve type as I can tell. This did nothing. I could not hear water passing through. Posts have mentioned turning on two valves to let the water in. I only have one as far as I can tell. The valve furthest back has no valve, tap or anything for me to turn.

Also, do I need to put the radiators back on before refilling the system?
20180529_192516.jpg
20180529_192537.jpg

Any help and advise would be much appreciated.

MrCee

Sponsored Links
The two handles are missing off the filling loop. The wee raised bits both need to be turned to allow water through. Not the screw.

Hi Shambolic, thanks for the prompt reply. Is that the nuts at the very top? Do I need to put my radiators back on first?

upload_2018-5-29_21-33-49.png

These two, rads need not be replaced - just make sure that both ends are closed. Make sure the screw that you tried earlier is closed (fully turned clockwise)

Sponsored Links
If you can be bothered... these handles should just screw on to avoid future inconvenience.

For regs the loop should be removed - but let’s be honest - it’s probably the most broken regulation EVER!

Attachments

• 369CD051-393E-4491-A0F7-4F9215E99A72.png
    369CD051-393E-4491-A0F7-4F9215E99A72.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 316
Thank you for the replies Shambolic, Nozzle and Combicert. Water was being released and I could see the pressure guage moving up when turned the valves ........ But my girlfriend shouted STOP THE WATER as water was leaking from the downstairs ceiling!!! Water was gushing out from the TRV vavle side of the pipes in the room where I removed the two radiators. I did double check that the TRVs were in the off position first when I removed the radiators. They never leaked during the time the radiators were off. I had taken off another radiator in another room, that is yet to go back on, but no water gushed out in that room. My first major disaster :LOL: I have just lost all chances of doing anymore DIY plumbing by the girlfriend :(

Enjoy your night sleeping on the couch and just think of it as camping with a big scary monster nearby

Well gentlemen, camping is over and I've been trusted to carry on, so all is not lost in my quest :D My plumber said I was just unlucky with the TRV valves I had. He said they were old and he has been caught out in the exact same way. He capped the TRVs for me so I can leave the radiators off. Thank you for your advice to those who posted :)

And Combicert sir, yes, boobs are over-rated once you've seen a few in your life :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back