Zinc-coating existing countertop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've seen images online of fairly farmhouse-style old fashioned tables e.g. the free-standing kitchen unit type, which have a thin sheet of zinc coated onto the table top, bend over the sides, and nailed at the sides:
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/console-tables/antique-zinc-top-work-table/id-f_691272/
You can get large sheets of thin pre-weathered zinc online for next to nothing. Does anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to use an existing chipboard formica worktop, and coat it with zinc like this? What about the joins along the length of the worktop, I was thinking of using something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS...NING-STRIP-DIVIDER-BAR-2-5m-8ft-/320959138475 (I will not be able to weld it!). But I'm not sure what would happen at the edge. Can you think of a better way of joining? Also, for a kitchen worktop application, how practical would this be for everyday cleaning? Could you paint the zinc with a clear lacquer?
thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What about paining the surface with a zinc paint and possibly distressing it to look old? Otherwise if you still want to go down the sheet metal route, zinc roofs are dressed with folded seams, which if you could duplicate would look different...pinenot :)

P.S. search faux zinc finishing for tips on painting/coating

I tink it all depends on how good a finish you want it to be......zinc is galvanised onto mild steel sheet more often than not, so any scrapes on the galvanising would show up as rust.
Also, turning thew edges down may give you more hammer marks than you want - which may make it look like an engineers bench!
Galvanised steel is horrible (and poisonous) to weld - the zinc vapourises away and needs to be retreated, so a joining strip is correct.
Zinc primers are very good - but of course the surface is soft so that would have to be taken into consideration too.
If you do decide to go ahead, what gauge (thickness) of sheet are you considering?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back