Zinc Guttering - Fixing a leak on a right angle join?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Our house has zinc guttering and at one of the corners the gutteriing is not joined properly such that sunlight can be seen through it. A friend offered to repair it and he said that silicone sealant would do it so he went up, cleaned it up a bit, then filled it all with some white bathroom sealant.

About 2 days later the gap has come back, so now I'm wondering what a better solution is. Could it be that the strong sunlight on the roof caused the sealant to contract too much? Or is this not an appropriate method for sealing along a leaking seam?

Suggestions welcome

Thanks for any tips.

David

Sponsored Links
We have fixed them with clear sealant in the past. Must be moving away from the other pipe and the sealant isn't strong enough to hold the two pieces together.
A new section of pipe would be the next step.

Is their a bolt or anything holding the joint together?

Hi Mursal,

Thanks for your reply, very kind.

There isn't anything holding the two pieces together and I understand that there is some wood behind ift which is rotting so that may explain the movement.

Presumably I might be able to fix the joint together with something and then try re-sealing it?

Obviously a new piece would be preferred but I'v heard they can be very expensive?

David

bathroom sealant is for ........bathrooms :LOL: google Dow Corning and select a proper silicone for the job ;)

Sponsored Links
We solder the corners of zinc guttering together. This is the approved method of installation. If this wasn't done properly in the first place get the contractor back to rectify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back