Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 over vinyl silk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

Decided to tackle the lounge ceiling over the xmas break. The previous owners painted it with vinyl silk (yuck!) along with the coving.

I've spent 6 hours today sanding down the coving and I have removed all the sheen off it. Problem now is the ceiling which as you can imagine, is a lot more difficult to sand and i'm really struggling with it. It would probably take me around 2 weeks to abrade it to the same standard as the coving.

My options are get it skimmed, or re-boarded and skimmed or alternatively try a product called Zinnser 1-2-3 which is appealing to me at the moment since the ceiling has a few stains where the old bathroom (above) used to leak.

Has anyone got any feedback on this product, will it bond to vinyl silk and give me a suitable surface for applying vinyl matt over the top of it?

Thanks in advance.

Claire

Sponsored Links
No need to put zinsser 123 on the ceiling, it's no good for water stains by the way. Just apply oil based undercoat to the water stains, allow to fully dry then put your vinyl matt straight on the ceiling, it will cover vinyl silk just fine, the first coat will take a while to dry that's all but otherwise it's ok to do this.

Are you sure? I've read many posts on here that suggest matt straight on to silk is a BIG no no and that the finish will start to crack?

As I'm typing this I've just looked at the ceiling above me which I painted matt over silk 14 years ago and it's fine. Over the last 35 odd years I must have painted hundreds of ceilings, matt over silk , and never encountered any problems.

Sponsored Links
I'm confused then, what do you do differently to the others that have experienced problems?

I'm guessing they didnt clean the area thoroughly with sugar soap and perhaps used a cheap paint?

Just give the ceiling a light rub with 120 grit to remove the sheen - no need to be rough with it. Dust off, wash down and overpaint with a couple of coats of V/M.

Use Zinsser Coverstain or BIN to seal in the water damage first - these are also available in aerosols.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back