zinsser bullseye 123 primer sealer stain killer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used this stain killer on recommendation on here and found it very good inside, particularly for red wine!

It says it is waterbased so I thought it was ok to leave my favourite brush out for a couple of hours while I did something else.

I was wrong and my favourite brush is hard as a rock.

Can someone help me recover it please?

Many thanks
jamesEB

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's a little late James but try gently tapping the bristles with a hammer to loosen things and then immerse the brush in meths.
Wire brushing may also help if things start to soften.
John :)

Cellulose thinners may work.

I have never used 123 but I do use the Dulux Trade Weathershield Primer which makes my brushes go stiff whilst I am working with them. Although the product is waterbased the brushes remain stiff even after washing them out. Dipping them in cellulose restores them.

Thanks both.

That leaves me two questions.
What is wire brushing and what is cellulose please?

JamesEB

Sponsored Links
From memory, Zinsser Bullseye contains Shellac (as does French Polish) which dissolves in meths.

A furniture restorer once advised me I could clean grease off an antique table with a rag and White Spririt, because it does not dissolve shellac.

1/3 ammonia in 2/3 water will also break it down

Cellulose thinners is a fairly aggressive solvent and will dissolve many paints - but not all. The same applies to xylene solvent as found in Hammerite paint. Toluene, used in aerosol form is used to dissolve grease from car parts is another one.
As I said in my first post, methylated spirit is the usual solvent for this Zinsser product but if the brush bristles are really solid then it could be too late to save......Zinsser is also quick drying which doesn't help.
Gently hammering the bristles helps to break the bristle apart, and then using a wire brush down the bristle may remove enough of the paint to allow the meths to work.
Success not guaranteed!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back