Spraying Zinsser Bullseye 123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone has experience spraying Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer with an HVLP?

I just repainted an internal door at the weekend, first priming it using BIN with a foam roller and then spraying scuff x with a HVLP. There was clear orange peel effect after the BIN. The result is ok after 2 topcoats but there is some orange peel showing through in parts.

I was thinking next time spraying the primer and using Bullseye 123 instead as it's WB so easier to cleanup in the sprayer?

Sponsored Links
I have never used 123.

Back in the days when hand painting cabinets was my bread and butter, I once tried BIN as a primer for a 4m bookcase. Previously, I used acrylic primer and then expected to spend 8 hours sanding the finish (read; MDF grain raise) flat. The BIN was applied with a mini roller, it took about 13 hours to sand it flat and I used about 3 times more abrasives.

I am impressed that you managed to use a foam roller. The first time that I used BIN with a foam rad roller, after a couple of hours, the roller extended to twice its original length and just became floppy.

I have only ever sprayed BIN in the aerosol cans. The nozzles clog pretty quickly though.

I only ever use my HVLP for 2K and (occasionally) oil based paints. It is an old 3 stage Fuji unit- not really up to spraying waterbased unless I add loads of Floetrol.

If your unit is happy to spray BM Scuff X, I don't see why you would have a problem with 123.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back