Cupboards above induction hob?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know kitchen cupboards above hobs is usually a no no.

But I'm going to get an induction hob, so no naked flames and a lot less heat generally.

I've just stood at a work top and mimed getting stuff out of a 300 mm deep cupboard, with some pans on my pretend hob. It really seemed OK.

1. The main danger to people is presumably doing it while cooking and knocking boiling water/hot fat over yourself, yes.

2. The units get lots of steam on them and fall to bits.

Any other cons?

The pros are it makes the kitchen refit way easier in terms of where I run services.

Sponsored Links
The answers to your questions regarding the hob will be determined by the manufacturers instructions. They will give you a minimum height for units above a hob - normally this height refers to an extractor fan and it is around 600mm - cupboard will probably be higher - much higher

However, I would think your own answers to Cons 1 and 2 would give you enough of a clue that it is a stupid idea - what do you think?

Sponsored Links
My induction hob states
no shelf or overhang or cooker hood shall be closer than a minimum of 650mm, but check with hood manufacturer's recommendations.

I do have a cupboard above the cooker well over the 650mm more like 900mm it has been like that for at least 20 years well before the induction replaced the original ceramic hob.

It has items for use with the cooker in it and we have never had a problem.

There is no cooker hood as it would be a huge job to pipe a duct from above the cooker to outside.

With a gas cooker there is far more water produced purely from burning gas so a hood is required but with electric if a hood is fitted a carbon filter is really enough.

To the sides of the cooker the cupboards can be lower it states 400mm to side of cooker clearance.

Mine is a Belling FSE 60i clearly other makes may give other clearances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back