Alpha CB50 Boiler exploded today

Had a call from a manager - they can get an engineer out Saturday... Still going to go for the local Alpha guy though - will contact them first thing in tomorrow.

Just investigating Moneyclaim.gov.uk as to getting my money back via small claims....

Steve

Sponsored Links
Had a call from a manager - they can get an engineer out Saturday... Still going to go for the local Alpha guy though - will contact them first thing in tomorrow.

Just investigating Moneyclaim.gov.uk as to getting my money back via small claims....

Steve

fact is they have engineers on call 24hrs a day if need be, they just don't want to pay the overtime. :evil:

They are a shower of incompetent clowns and muppets!

Steve

Try not to be led by the bias on this site, Bg have every right to refuse to do any more related work on the boiler due to third party interference so why provoke them into using it?

You won't get any money back, how could you expect to when the fault is still unproven.

If you are unhappy with the service get someone else by all means but at least let them see the job through without finding that someone else has been fiddling between visits, it makes fault finding nigh on impossible.

Steve

fact is they have engineers on call 24hrs a day if need be, they just don't want to pay the overtime. :evil:

please, like your shower could get round any quicker. the only bit you got right was the overtime rates you quitter.

claiming against BG for third party installation issues that caused damage, dont make me laugh.

Sponsored Links

Steve

please, like your shower could get round any quicker. the only bit you got right was the overtime rates you quitter.

claiming against BG for third party installation issues that caused damage, dont make me laugh.

As I've said before thickso, the good engineers leave ****ish gas and get a proper job leaving the dregs behind as the OP is now finding out. On the first visit any installation defects should've been noted and a quote issued to rectify them or the inspection failed.

As I've said before thickso, the good engineers leave ****ish gas and get a proper job leaving the dregs behind as the OP is now finding out. On the first visit any installation defects should've been noted and a quote issued to rectify them or the inspection failed.

Tends to be the lazy / lacking engineers who leave, the bad ones get the push and the dregs get promoted. We are all struggling with the rubbish manufacturers are pumping out at the moment (currently changing 2 or 3 isar / icos units a weeks f.o.c) and to be honest no longer able to rely on manufacturer engineer backup from most of them due to the poor service (every manufacturer visit I called in the last 2 months has recalled to me). There are obviously some regional variations in bg engineer quality but most of us are comitted to the customer rather than performance bullshit and treat management figures with the contempt they deserve.

The OP didn't get a first visit therefore defaulted to be accepted onto the contract after 28 days.

Can I clear a few things up.

1. The installation issue has only just been pointed to me - I have now arranged to get a G3 Ticketed guy out - he is just waiting for the part to arrive before booking us in.

2. We have had persistent dripping from the overflow for the past 9 months with a number of visits from BG engineers - and it not being rectified satisfactorily. It was this, tied with the incorrect installation that caused the EXV to blow. If we did not have this leak it would not of frozen - however - if the pipe had not been fitted incorrectly the chances are this leak would not of frozen. As pointed out by Dangermouse - BG should have carried out a proper inspection of the system and pointed out any defects that needed to be rectifying before taking the system on.

As far as I am concerned I have been paying BG good money for poor service. I think that it is compounded by the fact that we are on the Flexi. I do now believe that they do the barest minimum they can get away with - relying on the £50 fee each time.

Basically what would the cost be to replace two PRV's and an expansion vessel compared to the £420 we have paid them and we still have water coming from the system.

Steve

Can I clear a few things up.

1. The installation issue has only just been pointed to me - I have now arranged to get a G3 Ticketed guy out - he is just waiting for the part to arrive before booking us in.

2. We have had persistent dripping from the overflow for the past 9 months with a number of visits from BG engineers - and it not being rectified satisfactorily. It was this, tied with the incorrect installation that caused the EXV to blow. If we did not have this leak it would not of frozen - however - if the pipe had not been fitted incorrectly the chances are this leak would not of frozen. As pointed out by Dangermouse - BG should have carried out a proper inspection of the system and pointed out any defects that needed to be rectifying before taking the system on.

As far as I am concerned I have been paying BG good money for poor service. I think that it is compounded by the fact that we are on the Flexi. I do now believe that they do the barest minimum they can get away with - relying on the £50 fee each time.

Basically what would the cost be to replace two PRV's and an expansion vessel compared to the £420 we have paid them and we still have water coming from the system.

Steve

well said. two prv's would cost bg about £5-£10 each, the vessel approx £80 bear in mind they get them for a fraction of retail price. Any good engineer would pick up the faults on the first visit and arrange 1 more visit to fit parts/complete job. How do they explain the other visits? If the installation faults were not reported by the 1st engineer to you and a quote to rectify them given then how would you know? Their incompetence/negligence is the key issue here, that and the £420 you have paid them to bodge it and scarper.

I am bit confused and this has turned out to be a long topic :eek: , but please refresh my memory.

Is it the PRV that has been replaced or is it the TPRV on the unvented cylinder?

Is it the system expansion vessel that blew, or the DHW expansion vessel?

Chances are both saftey devices have been using the same discharge outlet pipe outside, so my question is, has the correct one been diagnosed as dripping and replaced?

To replace the system exp vessel would cost, at my rates £212 + VAT. The system PRV would cost an extra £51 + VAT at the same visit.

Sorry to ask the basics of what no doubt has been covered, but I'm too tired and lazy to read back through it all now :oops:

I am bit confused and this has turned out to be a long topic :eek: , but please refresh my memory.

Is it the PRV that has been replaced or is it the TPRV on the unvented cylinder?
Both

System

Chances are both saftey devices have been using the same discharge outlet pipe outside, so my question is, has the correct one been diagnosed as dripping and replaced?

Both lower ones have been replaced - thinking of it I think the upper one has been replaced at the top of the tank when that was replace - I can't however be certain. In fact - in my earlier post I did forget about the tank being replaced :oops: which admittedly is a £4-500 part

I would be asking ****ish gas if the engineers that have visited your property are g3 qualified and if not why they were sent. Ask to see copies of their certificates. ;)

Give trading standards a call too.

Both

System

Both lower ones have been replaced - thinking of it I think the upper one has been replaced at the top of the tank when that was replace - I can't however be certain. In fact - in my earlier post I did forget about the tank being replaced :oops: which admittedly is a £4-500 part

Lol, hmmmm plus a bit of labour, not really looking so shoddy :D

I would personally want to look closely at the TPRV. I doubt very much that the cold mains PRV would drip.

Lol, hmmmm plus a bit of labour, not really looking so shoddy :D

Perhaps not on that point but that was a straight swap - ie it was corroded at the top - no fault finding required.

However we have been suffering on the fault finding aspect of our problems with this boiler, and as pointed out - more than likely the engineers that have come have not had their G3 ticket. How many of your colleagues in BG have this? as a rough percentage.

Cheers

Steve

Approx 15% of BG staff are G3 certified. Speaks volumes really. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back