Wiring Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I need some help with wiring. (I will switch the power off at the mains before I start)

I am installing an extractor fan in our shower room. I want to connect the fan to the existing light switch in the bathroom.

I have included some pics to try and make things clearer….

I am guessing it goes as follows:

Connect the Neutral from the fan to the same place the black cable goes.
Connect the switched live from the fan to the same place the red cable goes.
Then I’ve got permanent live and 1 hole not currently used. Fingers crossed I can stick it in here?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Cheers

Jon

//media.diynot.com/115000_114233_9052_57880919_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/115000_114233_9053_67765758_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
no. your switch has a live and switched live (as most switches do)
you also need a neutral

see page 1 of the sticky, there is a clearer drawing of how its done (including the isolator you missed out)

View media item 1257
you should also read about part P

Im afraid thats not going to work, at the switch your red is "live" and black is the return "switched live" to the light. You'll need to take your 3core & earth from the fan to the light fitting itself, in there connect neutral to the neutral of the fitting, switched live to the live of the fitting and then the permanent live connects to the circuit loop "lives".

You should also have a triple pole isolator switch near the fan to isolate it for maintenance and as its in a special location it makes this work notifiable under Part P.

Before attempting anything have a look at the wikki to familarise yourself with how lighting circuits work as you've made the classic mistake of assuming the black at the switch is a neutral when in fact it isn't. If your still not sure call a professional to wire it in for you.

All the best
Dan

Thanks Breezer. Point 9 looks very handy.
Thanks Dan. That's language I understand :)

Sponsored Links
Can't help thinking this over complicated for one light!
Four cables coming in from the roof!!! :confused:

12 separate connections into the light!

No room for one tiny fan.... :(

No, that's perfectly standard wiring for a light.

Edit: in addition to the above you are going to have to protect the bathroom light circuit with an RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back