Cowboy special "Super plumbing tip"

R

Rhondo

How to convert a Myson 2 port (spring shut) valve to normally open.
Just finished this in my workshop as I need one for a job and noticed not many suppliers stock these.
Here I've drilled a new 3 mm hole for the valve shoes at right angles to the existing one...........
superplumbingtip4.gif

Here I've reinserted the shoe holding pin in its new location....
superplumbingtip3.gif

Here are the bits ready for assembly......
superplumbingtip2.gif

Hey presto the old previous spring shut motorized valve is now a spring open motorized valve after ten minutes work... ..
superplumbingtip1.gif

Well I think its genius if I do say so myself. :D :D :D
Has saved me ££££££££ :D :D

Sponsored Links
After draining, removing valve, dismantling, modifying, rebuilding, refitting and refilling, is it worth the effort? :confused:

How do you reverse the action of the synchron motor? Surely at the moment it is held open by the springs and motor action is also designed to open it. How do you shut it?

Sponsored Links
is it worth the effort? :confused:

You make it sound very laborious petit. ;)
I've just commissioned a huge solid fuel boiler integrated with an oil boiler and currently the oil boiler is rather partial to stealing a huge chunk of the flow from the sf boiler resulting in the sf boiler overheating.

I've just shut down one of the oil boiler circulator isolating valves at the moment.
Its all working rather well apart from this small problem.
I did have a few undersized pump problems initially but thats now resolved.
Customer is delighted. :D :D

There is a swing check valve in place fitted vertically and so far I'm looking at it as being the culprit.
At first I though it was gravity circulation but the moment the iso valve is cracked open ever so slightly the flow surges through the oil boiler.

I'll be taking the laborious route of draining, removing (swing check valve) , dismantling, modifying,(changing if necessary) rebuilding, refitting and refilling and then if this doesn't work my custom built n/o valve will be fitted. :D

How do you reverse the action of the synchron motor? Surely at the moment it is held open by the springs and motor action is also designed to open it. How do you shut it?

The synchron motor works as normal. The spring opens the valve ,electric shuts it..The spindle revolves 360 degrees.
I've just tested it and it works superbly. Though the manual operation does not shut the valve as it only seems to go through a half stroke.

Lets just hope the spindle o ring survives this ordeal :)

I hate all those shoe valves...the spindles always sieze or the o ring weeps at some stage...flawed design with all that rotation on the ring.

The synchron motor works as normal. The spring opens the valve ,electric shuts it..The spindle revolves 360 degrees.
I've just tested it and it works superbly. Though the manual operation does not shut the valve as it only seems to go through a half stroke.

Oh yes, I see.

Could you have not removed securing screws, rotated internals 90°, refit screws :idea: . It may not work, I've never tried it.

Lets just hope the spindle o ring survives this ordeal :)

I hate all those shoe valves...the spindles always sieze or the o ring weeps at some stage...flawed design with all that rotation on the ring.

The rotation is entirely within the spindle shaft.
What seals are in there I don't know as I didn't disassemble that part but I see your point about seals wearing out.

Could you have not removed securing screws, rotated internals 90°, refit screws :idea: . It may not work, I've never tried it.

Yeah I think you're right.
There's a locater dimple on the base plate which could be grinded off and then the actuater head turns 90 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back