life of a 3 port valve and pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a central heating issue - which as soon as I start looking into it I can't replicate the problem - isn't that always the way, anyway.

I have a standard old style central heating system, open vented, rads and hot water cylinder - coupled up with a 3 port valve. (ACL Drayton Lifestyle 679H340-30L0)

The problem is I think the motor in the 3 port isn't completely moving over or the micro switches are getting a bit dodgy, as at various times the timer and room stat are calling for heat, the boiler is ready but not fired up, and the pump isn't pumping.

At first I thought it was the pump jamming as with a few 'subtle taps' it all fired up and worked again. However I'm thinking it is actually the 3 port valve - which is right next to the pump so the taps could well have just transmitted to the 3 port.

The problem I have is that whoever put the system in put the 3 port valve horizontally with the head part right up tight against the hot water cylinder - so I can't get the head off (I can't even get the cover off). However, I think with a minor bit of pipework I can rotate the valve through 90 degrees to make it stand vertically.

Is there any reason that the valve has to be on its side? and moving it to vertical is going to cause more issues?
Also if I'm going to the bother of draining down etc is it worth changing the entire valve itself? (and maybe even the pump for onbe of these new more efficient ones from grundfos...) they must be well over 10 years old - as I've been here 10 years and I doubt they were even brand new when we moved in... how long would you expect pumps/valves to last?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Is there any reason that the valve has to be on its side? and moving it to vertical is going to cause more issues?
No reason at all. As long as the actuator is not underneath, where water could drip onto it, you can have the valve in any position. Sound as if the installer put the valve in before the cylinder!

is it worth changing the entire valve itself?
That depends. Some valves are in one piece, so you have to replace the whole thing. On later versions the actuator can be replaced on its own. If you have the older type it might be worth changing it now as it's normally the actuator which gives out first.

and maybe even the pump for one of these new more efficient ones from grundfos... they must be well over 10 years old - as I've been here 10 years and I doubt they were even brand new when we moved in... how long would you expect pumps/valves to last?
Valves, particularly actuators (motors and switches) will give up long before a pump. Provided the system water is clean and has decent inhibitor a pump could easily go on for 20 years or more. It's your call.
;)

I`m not a heating engineer but an engineer and a diyer. If you think the valve is in an unserviceable position and is over 10years old, then if it was me i would change it and make the changes. Would also change the pump at the same time.
pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back