new cooker . faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my husband has just installed a brand new cooker but the cooker box keeps tripping out every time you turn the cooker box on
any ideas why ? is it the wiring or perhaps a fault with the new cooker

Sponsored Links
What is a cooker box? Could you give some more info regarding the rating of the cooker, the rating of the fuse/MCB, the size of the cable feeding the cooker and any other information that might help us to help you.

The thing that keeps tripping. What exactly is written on it? Any chance of a photo?

Sponsored Links
its a brand new indesit kd3c1w cooker
hubby bought 3 differnt types of cable in case he was uing the wrong one
but it trips the main panel ( cooker fuse in the fuse box flip switch type )with all the differnt types of cable ( hes tried them all )
unfortunatly the instrctions for the cooker dont state which cable should be used !
you want me to take a photo of the fuse box ?

the cooker box its wired to is just a standard box with an extra socket and lil lights to show whats turned on

i really dont know a thing about electrics !

the only thing the instrctions say re the cable is
min req type ho5rr-f
section 3x4mm2

ive rung an electrician whos offerd to come out in the morning for a £70 call out charge . i'm a little worried he may try to rip me off though ) im dissabled and hubby will be at work, so i feel a bit vulnerable )
watching to much house of horrors and watchdog perhaps ?

You could have had all the help you needed from the forum - when did you book him! :eek:

i havent yet ,, he siad if i still needed him to call him back in the morning and he will be round within an hour

i expleined best i could the problem and asked about how much his raetes ect were ( as i dont keep much cash in the house , so would have to send someone to the bank for me if it was over £50 , i didnt tell him this )

davy_owen_88 said:
What is a cooker box? Could you give some more info regarding the rating of the cooker, the rating of the fuse/MCB, the size of the cable feeding the cooker and any other information that might help us to help you.

not sure what rating is ?

we have 3 types of cable here . hubby bought all the differnt ones the store had just in case

tech charcteristics of cooker just say max oven power absorbtion
1950 w voltage 240 ~50/60hz
ill check the fuse box to see if it says anything on the fuse that trips

buttonbabe said:
it trips the main panel ( cooker fuse in the fuse box flip switch type )with all the differnt types of cable ( hes tried them all )
unfortunatly the instrctions for the cooker dont state which cable should be used !
you want me to take a photo of the fuse box ?
Not if it's a difficult thing to do, but could you answer the following question...

RF Lighting said:
The thing that keeps tripping. What exactly is written on it?

Also, at the moment of tripping, are any of the cooker controls on? If not, then get your husband to disconnect the cooker from the rear of the cooker switch (in the kitchen), and see if the circuit still trips.

Clearly he should do this only with the cooker circuit isolated at the consumer unit (aka fuse box) by moving the breaker switch into the 'off' position.

ive taken a photo and affer dragging myself around the floor withba torch managed to see what was writton on the fuse switch

hager
mt132 450632(then a tiny 6 )
b32 230-400 v
in a box it says 6000 with a smaller box underneath that says 3

hubbys gone to work ( long distance lorry driver ) whe wont be back for a few days so .. im handling this alone

After reading the manual it gives the following ratings:

Front left: 1200W
Rear left: 1700W
Rear right: 1200W
Front right: 1700W
Oven: 1950W

So about 32A FL.

Since you have a 32A MCB that points to a wiring fault or a dodgy cooker. Have a check over his wiring (make sure the electricity supply is isolated before you touch anything). Make sure the bare earth conductor is sleeved and that there are no stray strands loose in the back box.

davy_owen_88 said:
After reading the manual it gives the following ratings:

Front left: 1200W
Rear left: 1700W
Rear right: 1200W
Front right: 1700W
Oven: 1950W

So about 32A FL.

Since you have a 32A MCB that points to a wiring fault or a dodgy cooker. Have a check over his wiring (make sure the electricity supply is isolated before you touch anything). Make sure the bare earth conductor is sleeved and that there are no stray strands loose in the back box.

anyone fancy walking me through this by phone :cry: lol

the trip fuse is on off position so is the cooker box switch .. safe to look ?

buttonbabe, I can't help but be concerned at your apparent vulnerability.

Can you do any of the following:

a) Do without the cooker until your husband returns;
b) Find an electrically competent friend who can come and help;
c) Find a tradesperson who's been recommended to you by someone you know and trust.

:?:

If the answer is "no" to all of these, then I reckon there's people on the forum who'd be willing to help. I'm not that far away from you myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back