It's not about generating extra revenue

In that case the Highways Agency would be contacted, but regardless of that, the speed limit is still in force
That may be so, but why, when no works are in force, when the road is clear and conditions are good, is that the case? Perhaps people might just have a tad more respect for the limits, if they could actually see some reasoning behind them being there - and if there is no obvious reason (and merely saying that the limit was still in force is no answer), then the only reason that they exist in such circumstances can only be for the purposes of revenue gathering.

At least there is the potential for traffic plod to apply a bit of reasonableness to the situation, although that clearly depends on the attitude of said plod as much as anything; there is no such latitude with a camera.

I agree with what you are saying, there could be a number of reasons as to why the cones where in place. They could have been starting work in an hours time, they could have started removing the cones, I honestly cannot answer that. I know I have said the limit is still in force, but at the time that is the only definite answer I could give.

Traffic officers do apply 'bit of reasonableness' is certain situations, and yes it may well be down to the attitude of the officer, but also it can be down to the attitude of the driver

Sponsored Links
What has the time of day/night and number of other vehicles on the road got to do with it?

You were travelling at 15mph over the speed limit, just accept the points and the fine and learn a lesson

Traffic officers do apply 'bit of reasonableness' is certain situations, and yes it may well be down to the attitude of the officer, but also it can be down to the attitude of the driver

Does not compute!

What has the time of day/night and number of other vehicles on the road got to do with it?

You were travelling at 15mph over the speed limit, just accept the points and the fine and learn a lesson

Does not compute!

It does compute because I stated that I thought the OP was using that as an excuse, i didnt realise he was backing up his comment on the paperwork he received

Blinkered by comments
No - I wrote "blinkered about comments", not blinkered by them.

are you actually for real or is this a wind up?
Well I've just pinched myself, so I guess I'm for real. Unless your question was some kind of masonic litmus test, in which case I'm sure I just failed it. Should I have answered with one trouser leg rolled up?

I'll think you will find that they are more excuses than complaints......we are the ones who they complain against....for what? doing the job we are employeed to do?
The fact that you don't know reveals your scant understanding of the very people you claim to be successful in educating. You couldn't dig yourself any deeper if you had a JCB.

If I was to stop a vehicle in the exact same situation as the OP, I would receive excuses as to why they thought 65 was acceptable
You call them excuses; they would call them reasons. The word is unimportant, it's the thinking that's important, and you continue to fail to understand how that thinking works. Being a policeman doesn't make you right, or an expert, it just gives you authority to present the facts for prosecution. You'd be well advised not to get ideas above your station.

Well as this is the first time the question has been asked to me I have not had a reason to explain, he states that the road was coned when it was apparant that no works where taking place. This is really not something I could answer unless I had a reason to find out.
In that case you're not well placed to comment on it.

In that case the Highways Agency would be contacted, but regardless of that, the speed limit is still in force
Well, since you've walked through the little door marked "Pedants Only", please let me guide you down the dark and narrow corridor...

The speed limit is in force only if it was correctly signed. And there are examples where this has not been the case, so you don't have enough information to be able to say that sooey exceeded the limit.

Are you in the habit of jumping to conclusions based on inadequate evidence?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps in future you should learn to read the posts properly (the title was a clue), instead of rushing to judgement based on your preconcieved notions. By the way, I realise the difficulty of the job that you do, and sympathise.

The aggression and general intellect level of many of the population must make you wish that you could put many of them down. I wish you could too, and would gladly volunteer to help if it ever becomes legal.

ive gathered that from previous police interventions, the "couldnt care less" attitude seems to get very little sympathy from punters. amazing that you probably still think you are hated for doing your job properly.

Funny you should say that nickso, The SS and the gestapo probably wondered why they never got invited to bar mitzvahs,

Snico, You chose to be a cop (if thats what you are), fair enough. [abuse removed]

Oh dear, its probably people like you that keep people like me in a job!

no its people like us that despise you for doing your job badly with prejudice.

Maybe, in future, you will follow the rules of the road and observe the speed limits. Speeding is just yob culture for grown-ups.

Come over to mine one day and i'll let you take my Lambo out.

If you don't go one mile per hour over the speed limit you can keep it. ;)

4-1.jpg

The 70 limit was brought in in 1966 when your average family car would be all done by 75-80 mph - think Austin 1100, Morris Oxford, 1200 Anglia etc (Joe is still probably driving these at present). Trying to stop any of those from 70 mph in the wet, on crossplies would have been a sphincter clencher. :eek:

I've just received 5 points and 600 squid fine for 98 on the M6 toll on a desolate sunny evening driving my M5 as I was late for an appointment.

98 is still fast, but on a clear dry motorway in a modern car built to do 160-170 mph it's not that big a deal. 98 in a 1990 Montego on remoulds on a wet and busy M1 is bloody lethal.

5 points and 600 sheets is harsh for someone with no previous points on their licence.

Just got fined sixty quid and a three point penalty for doing 65mph on a deserted motorway at a quarter to four in the morning. There was a fifty limit in force because one lane had been coned off for daytime roadworks.
The bit that made me laugh was the above claim in the paperwork that came with the notification. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry to hear of this sooey, Its frustrating when this happens although numero uno thing to remember is always stick to the roadworks limit as you can easily get caught out. :evil:

You got 5 points and the £600, not for speeding, but for driving an M5 :LOL:

When you drive on the roads you are part of a club. You get a licence to be part of that club. If you break the rules too often you are ejected from that club. Either follow the rules - or get out of the club. Your choice.

When you drive on the roads you are part of a club. You get a licence to be part of that club. If you break the rules too often you are ejected from that club. Either follow the rules - or get out of the club. Your choice.

I'm up for following the rules mate but sometimes its hard not to break the rules once in a while. :)

What people seem to forget is no matter how good their car is they won't be able to disobey the laws of physics when some numpty pulls into their lane...you won't be able to stop...and then believe me...it will be all tears.

What people seem to forget is no matter how good their car is they won't be able to disobey the laws of physics when some numpty pulls into their lane...you won't be able to stop...and then believe me...it will be all tears.

I've told them that before and about reaction times - but they won't listen. They like speeding. It's adult yob culture.

Sponsored Links