Glow worm 24 cxi - filling loop not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure on this had dropped slightly anyway (to just under 1.0 bar), and after the summer we used the system with no problems. However today we bled the radiators and the pressure dropped to < 0.7 bar, red light came on and boiler cut out.

However, it should be as simple as turning the blue knob (instructions stuck to front of boiler!) and this will let water from the mains supply into the CH circuit and bring the pressure up again. Nothing happens. Does this indicate the valve/filling loop is screwed?

Has anyone else had this issue or know of a resolution? The filling loop itself seems to cost only £14 while a call out is looking significantly more expensive - I'll probably call someone tomorrow either way (no hot water :confused: ) but it would be great if I was just missing something really obvious :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
are you handy with tools/water?

if so a fairly simple temporary solution is at hand. the filling loop valve is probably broken inside. if you shut off the mains water to the house and leave a hot water tap open and remove the loop tap you can push the valve open and refill the boiler until you get a replacement. once you have finished filling you turn it closed as normal.

you will defo need a new loop tap though.

Or get your cycle pump on the tyre valve behind the boiler at the top. Only give it a dozen pumps - might just be enough to get it going.

Enough to drive ya "Loopy"

basi.jpg

Bum Bum !

Sponsored Links
nickso said:

if so a fairly simple temporary solution is at hand. the filling loop valve is probably broken inside. if you shut off the mains water to the house and leave a hot water tap open and remove the loop tap you can push the valve open and refill the boiler until you get a replacement. once you have finished filling you turn it closed as normal.

That ties in with my suspicions (does the poorly documented item at the following link look appropriate? http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Filling_Loop.html#aHP_2dLOOP1 - linked from previous page on 24cxi; http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Glow_Worm_24_CXI_Heat_Pack.html)

Yes, am handy with water and have 3 1970's VWs, so pretty handy with tools :D My understanding of the loop (and looking through docs at glowworm site) is that the valve feeds directly from mains, so if I switch off mains and remove valve (just done this, and seems straightforward), how do I get water into the system - or am I required to hijack the garden hose and jam that on in place of the tap once I've jammed it open?

Gasguru said:
Or get your cycle pump on the tyre valve behind the boiler at the top. Only give it a dozen pumps - might just be enough to get it going.

what he said is worth a go first :LOL:

camdbug said:
nickso said:

That ties in with my suspicions (does the poorly documented item at the following link look appropriate? http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Filling_Loop.html#aHP_2dLOOP1 - linked from previous page on 24cxi; http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/Glow_Worm_24_CXI_Heat_Pack.html)

Yes, am handy with water and have 3 1970's VWs, so pretty handy with tools :D My understanding of the loop (and looking through docs at glowworm site) is that the valve feeds directly from mains, so if I switch off mains and remove valve (just done this, and seems straightforward), how do I get water into the system - or am I required to hijack the garden hose and jam that on in place of the tap once I've jammed it open?

no, look in the blue handled valve you have removed. you will see a small white bit in the centre, unscrew the valve a bit and push the white bit down. replace the valve and turn on mains. it should fill. the turn off the blue handled valve as normal.

nickso said:
Gasguru said:

what he said is worth a go first :LOL:

You're all just too fast! Can't keep up :p

Shouldn't you all be in bed? :D

Ok, will try the valve thing now before I head to bed, and I'll dig out the bike pump tomorrow if I have no luck tonight and give that a try (otherwise I have to go out in the cold, dark, wet outsideness!)

Back in a few minutes!

WooHoo!!! :D You are all genii (plural of genius? - either that or you all live in bottles :evil: )

Took a bit of fiddling (tap popped out again as I had not screwed it in far enough - so I'm a bit damp as a result). Interestingly a tiny circular rubber grommet came out along with a tiny little plastic nubble (yes, that's a real word - at least it is in my house/head/world!!)

Anyway, second attempt worked better. Have ensured that tap seems to be stopping water when closed again via spanner (no further pressure rise), so we have heat and hot water again thanks to you!

Any thoughts on the filling loop mentioned in my earlier links will be appreciated as replacing that lies easily within my capabilities and does not involve scary gas type burny things which I ain't going near! :evil:

Now, time for me to go and warm up my chilly missus! :LOL:

John M said:

Valve to CH return pipe? Ain't no screwy on bits - looks like push on only on my system. But for £7.69 what's to lose?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just replace the filling valve - the new ones have been modified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back