Preferred Route of cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a cable needs to pass through/by a box to complete a ring main should it physically go though the box or around the outside?

I am aware that of the general rules on permitted routes but not sure of what the convention is.

Sponsored Links
whats "the box" if it has nothing to do with the cct then it has no reason to go through it

Sorry I was a bit vague ... I meant back box of socket / fcu, the ring includes a couple of short horizontal runs (which I no some perople don't like).

So the cable drops from the ceiling to the first box, from there to the second box, and from the second box back past the first and up to the ceiling - thus keeping the cable in a permitted route.

Is it acceptable to run the return cable through the first box, or should it go outside the box (and be outside permitted route slightly).

permittted routes formed by accessories are only permitted for routes to that accesory

whether a cable through an accesories box conunts as two that accesory is open to interpretation

Sponsored Links
ok, so given that the two boxes are in line horizontally, then cables going to either box are on a permitted route if in line with either box. The question is is it common practice to have cables passing through one box to another, or is it better to go round the outside of the box?

The best way would be to drop down to box 1, run horizontally to box 2 then return verticvally to the ceiling void. But, if that's not possible there is no reason why you cannot do as you propose. Run the return cable either behind the box, or use a deep box and run it through the back, behind the socket plate. Incidentally, if you go behind, you won't interfere with any future work on the first box. (But be careful when chasing out that you don't end up in the house next door and make sure, when you attach the box, that you don't put a screw through the cable!)

The wiring zones created by accessories can be used for other cables. I have done similar once when putting wall lights on a brick wall (no render), chased down the other side of the wall, and bung a socket in the same chase to provide a zone.

I would go throught the box if i had to, but a seperate chase from another socket upwards would be best.

Lectrician said:
The wiring zones created by accessories can be used for other cables.

it is clearly stated in both the OSG and tlcs guide to the wiring regs that the zones formed by accesories ONLY applly to cables to/from those accesories

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back