Routing armour cable inside house to fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have run two armoured cables between a new detached garage and the house.
I would like to know the correct terminal boxes/glands to use to route the cable through the house wall. Do you use water proof boxes on the outside and then strip away the armour and only route the cable through the wall to the terminal box?
I have an electrician coming to connect up both ends garage and house but I wanted to route the cables through the wall and drill any holes etc so I can tile around the drilled holes and tidy up ready for the fuse box to be fitted.

Sponsored Links
Take the cables through the wall intact. Do not terminate them.

I'd leave the hole to the spark as well, unless you're in a trade yourself, chances are he'll have a more powerfull faster drill and the right sds bit for it too, I certainally wouldn't knock anything off a price for the sake of having to drill a couple of straighforward holes in brick!

Sponsored Links
Leave it all to the electrician - depending on the quality of your consumer unit he may wish to terminate the SWA in a box mounted alongside your CU. Many modern plastic CU housings wont take much strain with an armoured gland especially if a side entry - top and bottom not usually a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back