Is Karndean Like Real Wood?

JtB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the floor tiles which were laid in our bathroom and en-suite when our house was new (about 7 years ago) have since cracked. Several tillers have offered quotes for re-laying new floor tiles and have assured me that they will not crack again, however based on my experience with the existing tiles I really don't have much confidence in these reassurances. After eliminating tiles, my second preference is for wood or wood laminate, however with the amount of water that gets splashed about by our two young kids, that's not really an option. My third preference therefore is for something like Karndean, but my wife is dead against "vinyl". If anyone has any first hand experience of Karndean and can give me their opinions on how close to real wood (both look and feel) Karndean is, I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
JtB.

Sponsored Links
Karndean is a very good but very expensive product!
It looks good in a brochure but it is,and you know it is overpriced lino.It does not look like or feel like wood and never will!
There isnt a lot of choice really in bathroom floors,its either lino(karndean),laminate or tiles.Each have there own pluses and minuses,it just depend on what you (or should i say she :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) are willing to accept!

mrs breezer wanted carpet in bathroom, she settled for rugs, which surprise surprise went rotten after some years, we have (for some years) ordainairy lino, as it doesnt allow water ingress, easy to clean

Karndean flooring is really nice but it is really expensive. The wood effect ones looks great but you cant beat the real thing.

As for vinyls they have come a long way and we had one fitted in our lounge 2 weeks ago and it looks great. Its a tiles effect one and was in a sale. Its really thick and warm and we are really pleased with it. We have a Rotteiler and its great for hairs where carpets start to stink, it cleans well and can not fault it. Got it from Allieds with a 20 year guarantee.

Here is a link to the karndean site:
http://www.karndean.co.uk/home.asp

Coggy

Sponsored Links
JtB said:
Most of the floor tiles which were laid in our bathroom and en-suite when our house was new (about 7 years ago) have since cracked.
It may come under the 10 yrs warranty ?????

Don't be put off using floor tiles, its got to be bad workmanship. Rip up the floor tiles and investigate why you're having problem. Check there's no loose flooring or joists and are screw down, better still use exterior plywood. It could be the tiles adhesive is not thick enough, poor mix or faulty etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back