gravity hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have put in a new cylinder in on a 28mm gravity hot water system , can i put a tap stat on the flow in (primarys ) to regulate the hot water when the boiler is used to heat up the hot water (during winter) and does this meet requirements . or do i have to put two port valve in (that would mean getting a sparks in to wire up ) thanks

Sponsored Links
... can i put a tap stat on the flow in (primarys ) to regulate the hot water ...

tap stat? :confused:

If I'm correct in thinking you'd like to regulate the cylinder temp, so in winter when you have the CH on the water in the system can be hotter ie the stat up on the BBU.

If so... you should fit a cyl stat to energise a zone valve, fitted into the 28mm return from the cylinder, and have the valves microswitch switch between DHW and CH demand thus switching in/out the BBU for heat.

Cplanwire.jpg

Regards
UF

HI

even better.fit tap stat on the flow pipe close to the cylinder attach other
end to the cylinder.make sure you do not block feed or vent pipe.and you do not even need spark for this. :D

yes, the Tap Stat (made by Drayton, costs about £100) is a thermostatic valve that closes the primary (I thought usually the return) under the control of a vial strapped to the cylinder at an appropriate height. It is non-electric, the vial is connected to the valve with a fine flexible pressure tube less than a metre long, so the valve goes close to the cylinder. You cannot cut or shorten the pressure tube. There is also the Cyltrol which is a thermostaic valve that goes on the primary return, and closes when the return water reaches a preset temp (also made by Drayton and service parts still available, also about £100 but probably obselescent. It is inclined to seize when old so you can't adjust it.)

the only drawback I know, is that the boiler will continue to fire up under its own thermostat, to keep itself hot, even if the cylinder is satisfied, since there is no cylinder stat as in fc's diagram to tell it to stop. this will waste a certain amount of gas.

Sponsored Links
the only drawback I know, is that the boiler will continue to fire up under its own thermostat, to keep itself hot, even if the cylinder is satisfied, since there is no cylinder stat as in fc's diagram to tell it to stop. this will waste a certain amount of gas.

Cylinder stat is shown below room stat which puts a live to the valve motor. When off the motor closes thus opening the valve microswitch and removing switched live to the boiler for heat demand.

Or have I missed something? :oops:

UF

I meant, the drawback of using a Cyltrol or TapStat instead of a Cylinder Stat and Zone valve (or even a Cylinder Stat with basic wiring and no zone valve)

my old mum's system was installed with a Cyltrol only, the cylinder is a long way from the boiler and has involved me taking up lots of flooring and carpet and moving furniture to run the cable... and i haven't finished yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back