Particle accelerator Pics

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, they have confirmed that the chance that a sustainable black hole will form and consume the earth is quite small.
'quite small' Oh well that's ok, go ahead then!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Who paid for it?

We've all contributed...

Over the 13 year construction period (1994 to 2006 inclusive) the total UK contribution for the detectors, GriddPP (materials and staff effort) and collider was £511M. This includes the UK’s annual CERN subscription over this period. This is less than the price of one pint of beer per UK adult per year.

The total cost to the UK of participating in the LHC project will be £108M per year, including £82M per year as its national subscription to CERN’s on-going annual budget of approximately £455M. The subscription of member countries to the CERN budget is linked to their GDP. Non-member countries are also involved in, and contribute to, experiments.

The cost of the LHC project (machine and personnel) is £2.1bn, or £3.5bn if the infrastructure costs, incurred during the construction phase, and the costs of computing, GRID, early running etc are included. The cost of the LHC is mainly paid for by the 20 members of CERN, with significant contributions from the 6 observer nations.

If we are to find a new source of energy research such as this must be given a priority.

Who knows what will come out of it ... The end of the cosmos as we know it perhaps ... Or Dr Who and Rose Tyler (and Rose will be naked) with any luck :LOL:

MW

Hope they dont forget to put a schilling in the meter.
(ok its austrian but close enough)

I wonder if Joe has worked out how much oil it'll take to get the thing going :LOL:

MW

Is that why arnie in that terminator film with the accelerator in it said "oil be back"?

Wonder if they'll bring out a working kit to build it, would be fun putting it together.

Never fails to amaze me what you can achieve with a Maplin account and a couple of afternoons with Dave from the Red Lion.

There have been multiple accidents/incidents already at this LHC, not least in April when one of the major magnets broke from its' mount. They have also determined that some of the calculations used to prove it is safe, are incorrect.

There are currently a number of legal challenges, trying to get this thing shut down, not that they will be successful.

There have been multiple accidents/incidents already at this LHC, not least in April when one of the major magnets broke from its' mount. They have also determined that some of the calculations used to prove it is safe, are incorrect.

There are currently a number of legal challenges, trying to get this thing shut down, not that they will be successful.
I think you are wrong there, its safe, i saw the CE mark on the side!

Sponsored Links
Back