Ice road Car Trekkers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of em just don't have a clue.
Just going to work the other morning after a good snowfall and came upon two cars in the ditch.
It was downhill and I was going the down direction with a smug satisfaction that I was still moving.

Guy in a BMW (looked like a slicker from the city) was stuck on the up side and was foolishily trying to kick snow slush (that had a little bit of grit mixed in) under his front tyres to gain grip not realising that the thing was back wheel drive.
He didn't even have a shovel! Can you believe it?
Eye balled him going past as if to say "you silly pillock".
He didn't look to amused. :LOL: :LOL:

At the head of a 1/2 mile tail back on the same slope was a young lady sitting in her car waiting presumably until help arrived. (At least she was using her brains)
Would have stopped if it were not for the cars approaching behind and wanted to keep the rear of my van at the "rear" and not pushed half way up the chassis.

Anyway my top tip for driving in the snow in my front wheel drive vehicle is let the air out of the tyres. I'm on 28psi with good tyres and its the business. Braking and accelerating is superb. Normally run on 65psi. So about half. :D

Sponsored Links
no more than %20 air out..
that's ok for regular tyres but vans generally have reinforced tyres..

but think about it..
flat shoes on ice = slipping all over the place
thin blade ice saktes on ice = forward and back only...

bought some snow chains for my truck today. couldnt believe how cheap they were (when they turn up is another factor though!)

Sponsored Links
bought some snow chains for my truck today. couldnt believe how cheap they were (when they turn up is another factor though!)

Deliveries will get through when the snow has melted.................. :LOL:

ah prepared for next time! Up our way the roads cleared but the track up to my yard was like a sheet of glass for another 6 days, so they should still come in useful. Can also be used on wet grass as well, so useful again!

Just read the link that was posted and want to comment on Redherrings comment about ABS.

In this type of weather ABS is none existent! It basically works by sensing the pressure of the tarmac against the turning wheel and automatically "cuts in and out" numerous times per second, rather like you releasing your foot when you feel your brakes locking and then re-applying them only ABS does it so much quicker. In this weather when your brakes lock there is insufficient pressure on the sensor to activate so you will just slide. This was discussed on the Discovery channel a few mornings ago in an unrelated article.

The only way to be safe in this weather is to drive within your capabilities, allow lots more time for your journey, drive at a greater distance from the vehicle in front, drive slower, be more attentive, (switch off the radio/cd player), be aware that most other drivers, especially young ones, may think they are in control but in reality are under an illusion of what can happen in a split second. Regard every other driver as a potential hazard just waiting to happen and be ready for it to happen. But above all be relaxed, smooth and methodical in your driving. Take your time not chances! And under no circumstances alter the set up of your vehicle to be able to drive as you would normally drive. Extreme weather calls for extreme care.

Better to be 15 minutes late in this world than 15 years early in the next.
Take care and be safe.

As you say, ABS is worse than useless in snow, the ability to lock your wheels is useful, as it chocks up snow in front of your tyres and slows you down.

as it chocks up snow in front of your tyres and slows you down.

Agreed but if you are driving safely you shouldn't need to do this.

Many years ago my driving instructor asked me the best way to control a skid. I said steer into it, technically correct. His reply?

Never get into one! :LOL:

drive in the highest gear possible at the lowest speed.

The only way to be safe in this weather is to drive within your capabilities, allow lots more time for your journey, drive at a greater distance from the vehicle in front, drive slower, be more attentive, (switch off the radio/cd player), be aware that most other drivers, especially young ones, may think they are in control but in reality are under an illusion of what can happen in a split second. Regard every other driver as a potential hazard just waiting to happen and be ready for it to happen. But above all be relaxed, smooth and methodical in your driving. Take your time not chances! And under no circumstances alter the set up of your vehicle to be able to drive as you would normally drive. Extreme weather calls for extreme care.

Better to be 15 minutes late in this world than 15 years early in the next.
Take care and be safe.

Excellent advice

I don't understand why you say ABS doesn't work in snow. When I was working in Ipswich, I heard my ABS working for the first time (don't get ice down here usually) and was quite startled until I worked out what it was. I was most impressed to find I couldn't put the car into a slide by hard braking.

I don't understand why you say ABS doesn't work in snow. When I was working in Ipswich, I heard my ABS working for the first time (don't get ice down here usually) and was quite startled until I worked out what it was. I was most impressed to find I couldn't put the car into a slide by hard braking.

Your ABS will still function, but you will ride over the top of the snow.
Conventional brakes lock, and chock up the snow, thus your tyres are more likely to dig down to the road surface.
Their are for's and against's for both systems.

http://www.mucda.mb.ca/aboutabs.htm

4 wheel drive and traction control is the Biz.

ABS does work in the snow, it will just have a longer stopping distance as a vehicle with no ABS. A vehicle which is fitted with ABS will have better steering and stability in the snow

Sponsored Links
Back