Police Producer

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Last weekend Julie was driving my car :( . She stopped at a roundabout and some k**bhead ploughed into the back of the car which pushed her forward enough for him to drive round her and **** off! She didn't get his number because of poor visibilty, it was snowing. Really upset she went to work and phoned the police to report it. The guy on the phone asked where she lived and her car registration number. To her dismay he told her to go our local police station and produce her docs and quote this number, she was given a producer over the phone!

To make matters worse she took the details today and the nick was closed, they were short staffed on the reception desk so locked the front door. She spoke to someone using a phone outside the door and they gave her a phone number and said keep trying and when you get an answer we are open!

Sponsored Links
When some wally reversed hard into my car (luckily with plenty of witnesses about, and with his phone number written all over the car, :LOL: ), then fled, I was asked to bring my documents down to the station. I guess it is one way they make sure people are insured, MOTd etc. Thus not being insured, licenced, MOT'd is not only illegal, it also means you forfeit your rights to any come-back when someone knacks your car.

Important thing to remember, you have to report these accidents within 24 hours. :!:

phone them back up and ask to speak to someone in the accident department. This is normally a civillian clerk and the number youve been given should relate to the accident file. Explain the situation and it can normally be sorted out over the phone. A producer over the phone is not enforceable, they cant prove who theyve spoken to and it has no legal basis. They should be able to check the insurance details on the pnc database anyway. What force do you come under?

I thought you had to officially report an accident (blue/green-book) to get any come back on it, before they can tell you about insurance status etc? And to report an accident you have to produce the documents.

Or am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
Greater Manchester Police. (Sale)

They first said she had to produce within 7 days she tried and they were closed. She mentioned to them on the phone today about the 7 day limit and they said don't worry, just bring it when we are open. The guy that said it did give us his number.

Surely she's done all she needs to and the onus is on them now, given that they were closed? it was only lunchtime not the middle of the night when we went.

On a seperate note this happened at this police station to me about 5 years ago. I found a mobile phone and went to hand it in, again the door was locked. I phoned (there is a phone on the wall outside) they told me to go to another nick, I said it is easier to throw the phone in the bin. They opened the door took my details and then locked up again.

They don't seem the slightest bit interested in the public really, I suspect they are just bogged down with paperwork and lock up just to catch up.

no the onue is on you to produce the documents, however im 99.9% sure that unless its in writing, ie a producer given at the time or a subsequent written request following and accident that it cant be enforced. There is only a reuirement to record certain road accidents, ie injury, hit and run etc. Normal prangs dont have to be recorded and we stopped doing that in sussex about 6 years ago. You have a requirement to comply with section 170 of the road traffic act, which basically means exchanging details at the scene. if not then you report it. Give them a ring and have a bit of a rant, ask to speak to someone senior in the department

Dave

I had an accident which was non-fault and the guy gave a false address - but I was also asked by GMP to produce before they would chase the bloke. In the end they found him and gave him 6 points for FTS - failure to stop - he DID stop, but gave a false address so the police class it as FTS. That pushed him over the edge, and he lost his licence.

Mind you, I had to push like mad to get the desk clerk to get the ball rolling (at Elizabeth Slinger nick).

I explained what had happened and was told that they could do nothing about it. Now, I would have gone home if it were not for the switchboard who I spoke to earlier - they told me I could take it further, as long as I went to produce so as to prove myself street-legal.

So ensued a ridiculous tennis match of argument until the clerk backed down:

START

I'd like to report an un-insured RTA, please.

I'm sorry, we can't help you - talk to your insurance company.

I was told by the switch that you CAN help.

Sorry, talk to your insurance company.

Go back to the START.

I also had similar trouble with a lorry wearing false plates.

I smelt a rat when the driver said, "As you can see, my registration is *** ****"

I checked both front and rear plates - they were the same.

But the index belonged to a private car in Devon.

If there is a next time, I'll be in the cab looking for the excise disc and the other docs to make sure they match the plates.

In this case GMP were totally unmoveable - they would not help at all. They would not even believe that a waggon would carry false plates - "you've written it down wrong" they said.

"What," I said, "Twice?"

david and julie said:
Last weekend Julie was driving my car :( . She stopped at a roundabout and some k**bhead ploughed into the back of the car which pushed her forward enough for him to drive round her and **** off! She didn't get his number because of poor visibilty, it was snowing. Really upset she went to work and phoned the police to report it. The guy on the phone asked where she lived and her car registration number. To her dismay he told her to go our local police station and produce her docs and quote this number, she was given a producer over the phone!

To make matters worse she took the details today and the nick was closed, they were short staffed on the reception desk so locked the front door. She spoke to someone using a phone outside the door and they gave her a phone number and said keep trying and when you get an answer we are open!

I'm afraid my experience is the same David.
My wife had a van drive into her at the roundabout and speed off...
She got the plate, and rang the police instantly.

Even so she was told to produce her docs before they would even raise a police report.
In my opinion a car should have been despatched to the other end of the dual-carriageway to pick the b**ger up!
-- being that she was away from home for 2 weeks.., there was nothing we could do, but ruin a holiday... which the police had now ruined for us.

Its stupid, its a stupid policy when the innocent party brunts the cost.

-- before a load of police come and tell me I'm wrong.., its not the police men and women I blame, its the system and policies they enforce. :evil:

securespark said:
But the index belonged to a private car in Devon.

If there is a next time, I'll be in the cab looking for the excise disc and the other docs to make sure they match the plates.

In this case GMP were totally unmoveable - they would not help at all. They would not even believe that a waggon would carry false plates - "you've written it down wrong" they said.

"What," I said, "Twice?"

Happened to my grandad AND a colleague of mine. False plates. If I ever have a collision where the guy stops then I will be making use of that wonderful new innovation, "Visible VIN plates". Most cars have either a plaque on the dash, or a flap by the drivers door. Some might even have both. They are less likely to have fake VIN plates, as 99.9% of people wouldn't think to check!

If they have nothing to hide, I doubt they will mind you recording VIN too. If they start getting shirty about you recording their VIN, you know to ring the Police.

Hi David,
I also live in Sale and have yet to find Sale Police Station open!! I was given a producer last year and didn't even try Sale PS, i just went straight to Altrincham, wasted an hour of time in a queue only for them to say all seems to be in order, goodbye :mad:
If i were you though I would get your docs down there and get it sorted, before you end up any further in the system 'cos s0ds law says there will be no record of any of your phone calls and they'll probably issue a warrant for your arrest as a danger to the public or some such nonsence :confused:
Dustyy

Yeah, I got a producer last year, where I was cautioned for not being able to produce my driving doc's - can you imagine it?

"Can I see your licence, sir?"

"I haven't got it with me."

"In that case, I must caution you. You do not....................."

Anyway, I produced and was given a green bit of paper signed by the desk clerk as proof of production. Thought nothing of it.

A week later I got a NIP through the post (sorry, Notice of Intended Prosecution) because I hadn't produced.

Rang the station, complained, gave the serial number of the green bit of paper. That's OK, sir.

Two weeks later, another NIP....

Ended up in the nick, with my green bit of paper, demanding to see the super. Which I did, and bent his ear a good 'un!! Waste of space!

I think Julie has already been now, she ended up going another police station(Stretford).

A friend of mine once told me to never get out of the car if you have a bump regardless of how small it is. He's had a couple that weren't is fault he sat still said he coundn't move is back and phoned an ambulance from his mobile. The police then have no choice but to respond. On both occasions they made a report and measured up the road which helped no end with his claims. Total waste of resourses but what else are you supposed to do when there is no law.

Dustyy. The situation at Sale nick is now made worse by our lovely town hall extention. (costing us £1M a year rent and we used to own it :cry:) They charge to park on the street, have a resident traffic warden and the nick is then closed too. Great.

Has anybody else got a situation where the police sell their car park for housing, forcing the staff to park on the footpath, which is then made worse by a council next door that sells its town hall car park for a couple of pubs and an extention which it then rents back. Followed by the sale of its wagon and plant yard next door for housing, they were then struggling for room, so rented a yard about 5 miles away in Partington . This means all the council wagons working in Sale loose at least 40 minutes a day plus the extra fuel and pollution.

Then they wonder the council tax keeps going up.(sorry to go off topic)

securespark said:
Yeah, I got a producer last year, where I was cautioned for not being able to produce my driving doc's - can you imagine it?

Believe it or not, it is an offence to not produce your driving docs on request!

Now, is it REALLY a sensible idea to drive around with your licence and proof of insurance in the glovebox? They would turn to powdery paper in your wallet, so that is where they would stay. So, anyone can nick your car, when pulled by the cops merely produce your paper licence and insurance and be on their way (provided you hadn't reported it by then).

Oh, and can anyone say "identity theft"?

However, I don't think they should change it. Why? Well, police often have a "hunch". If a cop pulls a thieving oik over, and said oik can't produce documents, the policeman can arrest him instead of just having to give him a producer. More often than not there'll be something outstanding, or the car will be nicked and not yet reported.

david and julie said:
.... They don't seem the slightest bit interested in the public really, I suspect they are just bogged down with paperwork and lock up just to catch up.

I have to speak as I find, and my experience is very different from yours. Some years ago a car came out of a side road in front of me and I was unable to stop in time to avoid a collision. Whilst we were exchanging details a police car happened to be passing, and stopped. The other driver immediately started telling one of the officers that I had been driving too fast (I hadn’t been) but the officer looked at the tyre marks in the road and said they didn’t suggest speeding (he also pointed out that the road was unrestricted at that point). Whilst this was happening the other officer helped me identify the name of the other party’s insurance company from the scrap of paper she had given to me. Also at about this time another driver, who had been waiting to get out of the side road behind the car I hit, came up to me and gave me his details and offered to be a witness. The officers checked my car out and phoned for a truck to take it to my home. When I left they were still talking to the other driver.

The next day one of the officers visited me at home to take a statement and check my documents (all in order). He mentioned that the other driver had subsequently blamed the accident on her being unable to see me coming because the sun was low in the sky and directly behind me! He then said something to the effect that “they were recommending she be charged with driving without due care and attention”. I added this to my insurance claim form. ;) He then left to go to interview my witness at his home.

My insurance company arranged for a courtesy car to be delivered to my home when they picked up my car to be repaired, and the reverse happened when the repairs were completed. At no time did they ask for any excess and my no claims discount was left intact.

Altogether, apart from not being over impressed with the other driver, I found that the police, witness and my insurance company were great and made the entire incident virtually painless and stress-free.

Perhaps times have changed, or it is different here in Essex, or I was just lucky. :!: :?:

Good experience.

Mine are not so good.

Memorable is the time when I got hit by a driver who did not stop. I was at the scene for 35 minutes talking to witnesses, and he did not return in that time.

I reported it to the police, got in touch with MIB (no, silly, the motor insurers bureau....!) and the DVLA to get the guy's address.

The police interviewed him at home 85 yo bloke, no insurance because he "cancelled the DD".

He swore blind he had returned to the scene and found no-one.

What action did they take against him? Nowt. His insurance company paid out upon resupmtion of the DD.

He has since died, but he was a local man and every time I saw him, I'd say "Good morning/afternoon/evening Mr *****, made anybody elses life a misery? I hope you've got car insurance today."

I could see him searching his memory for a name to put to the face, but he couldn't quite do it.

I'm not generally an eye for an eye kind of guy, but this made me spitting mad....

Sponsored Links
Back