Insurance

Crafty said:
I drive a Ford Fiesta 53 plate 1.4 TDCi
My Dad drives a Ford Focus 54 plate 1.6 TDCi.

We are both fully comp for our own cars. No extra drivers etc. On a typical fully comp policy, can I drive his? And can he drive mine?
If you mean would you/he be insured, then yes - but typically only with TPF&T cover.

If yes, if one were to have an accident in the other's car, whose insurance would pay out?
If only one policy covers the scenario, then just one insurer. For example, if you had an accident driving your father's car, while covered by just your policy, then only your insurer would pay out. There would be no need, and no requirement, to notify your father's insurer, in the same way that he wouldn't need to tell them if someone backed into it and then paid for the repairs directly.

If two policies covered the situation, which is not uncommon, then the two insurers would decide between them what aspect, and what proportion of costs, they paid out on.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Crafty said:

We are both fully comp for our own cars. No extra drivers etc. On a typical fully comp policy, can I drive his? And can he drive mine?
If you mean would you/he be insured, then yes - but typically only with TPF&T cover.

Actually you would need to check the policy, until I was 25, all my policies specifically stated that I was not insured to drive any other vehicle, when I hit 25 my policies then allowed me to drive other vehicles 3rd party.

Was with a few different insurance companies too and all were the same so I suspect most of them have cottened on to the abuse of this by younger people who can't afford their own insurance.

Bendo said:
Softus said:
Crafty said:

Actually you would need to check the policy...
Actually (sic.), Crafty asked his question in the context of a typical policy.

Softus said:
Actually (sic.), Crafty asked his question in the context of a typical policy.

And typically (in my experience anyway) it depends on age.

Sponsored Links
37.gif

I think Bendo is right. (sorry Softus) I seem to remember an age related statement in my policy regarding driving other cars. I might dig it out one day and look at it. :LOL:

Well, it serves me right if I've been hoisted by my own petard, but having answered your question about a typical policy, for someone to argue that because there is often (but not always) a clause precluding use of someone else's car for merely eight years out a common driving lifetime of fifty years, is to deviate from the point of your question, and in such a way as to be picky for no particular reason.

It now seems that you were asking me what I reckoned your policy says, to save you having to look at it. If you'd asked me that, then I would have suggested that you get off your lazy ar*e and read it. :rolleyes:

If you really think that 42 years out of 50 doesn't represent a typical sample, then we're not talking the same language, and we should just smile and walk away at this point.

Crafty
stop .......while you are digging it out ....an just say you lost it ...

lol @ Softus......lol..lol

OK, I'm 21 and my dad is 44. Apply this to the question above. Would a typical policy allow me to drive my dad's car and vice-versa? ;)

Although given that my age is widely known as being 21 on this site, I would have thought you'd have cottoned onto this and answered accordingly to start with Softus ;) :LOL:

Crafty said:
OK, I'm 21 and my dad is 44. Apply this to the question above. Would a typical policy allow me to drive my dad's car and vice-versa?
RTFP.

Although given that my age is widely known as being 21 on this site, I would have thought you'd have cottoned onto this and answered accordingly to start with Softus ;) :LOL:
Er, where/why would have I seen that? :confused:

And what's your age on other sites? ;)

Are you on a calorie-controlled edit, ricicle? :D

Sponsored Links
Back