Ideal Response 120

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler is making a noise like a fog horn as it reaches boilerstat set temperature. It makes the same noise during HW demand as fan starts to slow down.

Can the good folk here suggest what I should be looking at?

Sponsored Links
Danny, usually the boilers I see make the foghorn noise due to incorrect mixture being too lean.

But with an Ideal Response it is anyones guess. I refuse to go out to these any more :rolleyes:

Thanks Dave, will look at the burner pressure etc.

Proff. Just because I posted a problem here does not mean I am an end user. This is a client's boiler. Thanks anyway for pointer about the fan. Can you suggest how the fan can be checked? I can 'meet' you on combustion chamber is required.

Sponsored Links
just tell the customer they should be thankful it still works and buy some ear ddefenders :LOL:

Weak mixture can easily be confirmed on that model by sticking a finger or two into the air inlet funnel beside the injector to reduce the air volume and hence richen the mixture.

The simplest tests are the quickest and you dont have to get out your FGA or wait for it to stabilise.

Tony

Tony fail to see your reasoning. It is evident defect is 'flame size' related since noise only occurs when fan is slow running (i.e. boiler reaches boilerstat set temperature)

On premix boilers the flame is most sensitive to mixture problems when its on minimum power.

Sticking the finger into the air inlet will restrict the air whilst not affecting the gas volume thus resulting in a stronger mixture and the elimination of the foghorn sound.

Try it!

Tony

Tony I did not need to as boiler only made that noise when flame was minimum. Boiler worked perfectly at higher stat setting. So it had to be minimum flame that caused the noise.

Anyway, boiler is fixed. Still at 'testing' stage before billing the customer. Boiler has not made that noise since it was repaired earlier this week.

Sticking the finger is only a test to enrich the mixture to confirm what the problem is.

You say its "fixed" and now "on test".

So what is the "fix" that you have you done?

Tony

The gas valve on responses show the fault on low which is murder to get exactly as thermistor keeps changing the bp. I have a handy "splitter" which is a box that plugs into the thermistor molex on the pcb and has a high and low setting switch. You set it on high to light the boiler then switch it to low to see if fault occurs. you can then adjust the BP with the wee wax covered screw at the bottom right of the GVL. Not to be recommended without the "splitter" or the table of settings for all the response range.

Another wee tip to look out for is the metal ring in the fan venturi that sometimes comes out on the smaller 100 and 80 models this causes the same thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back