dry line a wall with mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,can anyone help me,i am in the process of decorating the babys bedroom,the plaster on one of the walls has come away,i dont want to pay for somebody to come and plaster so i was thinking of drylining with mdf sealing it and then papering over,has anyone tried this or is it possible,what finish would i get etc

Sponsored Links
Well apart from being flammable and therefor dangerous it is expensive and likely to warp unless you go for very thick sheets and therefore very expensive.If you are capable of fixing the sheet mdf then you should be able to fix plasterboard via dot and dab and dry line the wall correctly and it will be a quarter of the price.

Well apart from being flammable and therefor dangerous it is expensive and likely to warp unless you go for very thick sheets and therefore very expensive.If you are capable of fixing the sheet mdf then you should be able to fix plasterboard via dot and dab and dry line the wall correctly and it will be a quarter of the price.

thanks for the advice,didnt really want to use plasterboard as would have to get it skimed,also if i was to dot and dab i would have to take off the loose plaster down to the brick and dont want to do this due to the mess it will make as already started decorating the room,i was going to use fermacell boards as dont need plastering but cant find anywhere which will deliver them.

why do you have to skim it?
if you get tapered edge p/board all you need to do is tape and fill it then sand it down and decorate.im sure you could at a push be able to do that yourself?

Sponsored Links
why do you have to skim it?
if you get tapered edge p/board all you need to do is tape and fill it then sand it down and decorate.im sure you could at a push be able to do that yourself?

yes would have no problem doing that,only thing is i would have to put batterns on the wall so i could fix the plasterboard to which would make the wall come out further than just using mdf,this would be a problem as i have a radiator to plumb back in and pipes wont fit correctly,also cant find anyone who will deliver plasterboard

Maybe a silly question, but can you not fit the plasterboard in the same way you would have been fitting the MDF?

Maybe a silly question, but can you not fit the plasterboard in the same way you would have been fitting the MDF?

its possible but as the walls are quite uneven if i was to screw to the wall it wouldent pull up right as the board is not rigid enough and may end up breaking,other option is to dot and dab but as i said earlier no way of getting the large plasterboards i need delivered anyway

Maybe yet another silly suggestion but I'll put it to you anyway...........

Instead of using the thick batons that you would normally use with plasterboard, if the skirting is still intact, what about getting more skirting to use as batons and screwing the plasterboard to that? Shouldn't cause as many problems as "normal" batons when it comes to radiator and sockets.

What size of MDF were you going to get? Can you not get plasterboard in the same sizes?

Sorry if you're tearing your hair out when you're getting suggestions other than the one you asked about - I wouldn't have thought that MDF would have been the best thing to try and line walls with.

Only other suggestion (and you might think it's a really naff one) what about using T&G panelling then emulsioning/painting it?

its possible but as the walls are quite uneven if i was to screw to the wall it wouldent pull up right as the board is not rigid enough and may end up breaking,other option is to dot and dab but as i said earlier no way of getting the large plasterboards i need delivered anyway[/quote]

So if you can't get deliveries how are you going to get mdf?

How were you going to fix mdf to uneven wall without it flexing like the plasterboard?

its possible but as the walls are quite uneven if i was to screw to the wall it wouldent pull up right as the board is not rigid enough and may end up breaking,other option is to dot and dab but as i said earlier no way of getting the large plasterboards i need delivered anyway

So if you can't get deliveries how are you going to get mdf?

How were you going to fix mdf to uneven wall without it flexing like the plasterboard?[/quote]

mdf is rigid so will pull up,if was to do the same with plasterboard the screws would just pull through the back,mdf i can get delivered,people dont like delivering plasterboard as is very fragile and often breaks in transit

Mdf will flex if screwed tight, plasterboard is delivered by any builders yard, the trade would die without it.

Cobblers! :LOL: Do you think all builders pick up their own plasterboard? If you're wall is uneven you just need to pack it out to make it flat, no different to fixing to a stone wall. To do it in MDF is a right bodge and it'll look cr*p.

Pack out the existing partition where required, a bit laborious maybe but not difficult and certainly not expensive if DIY.

Cobblers! :LOL: Do you think all builders pick up their own plasterboard? If you're wall is uneven you just need to pack it out to make it flat, no different to fixing to a stone wall. To do it in MDF is a right bodge and it'll look cr*p.

Pack out the existing partition where required, a bit laborious maybe but not difficult and certainly not expensive if DIY.

no company round here will deliver what i need,its ok if getting a pallet load but not a couple of sheets,its getting papered over so wouldnt see it anyway!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back