baxi solo 2 pf 80 - Leaking Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - My Baxi solo 2 pf 80 has started to leak quite badly from the heating element (boiler?) I first noticed some odd popping noises in the pipes a few days ago and had to re-pressurise the system a few times.

Tonight I had a look at the boiler itself and noticed water everywhere :eek: I removed the front panels and sure enough it looks as though the boiler has cracked or something.

Looks like I'm on electric heating for a few weeks....

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Know of this problem. Email- details in my profile

Sponsored Links
Managed to coax the boiler back into life.... will monitor for a day or two and then a replacement is due I guess - Thanks

Due to the cold and needs must I investigated this leak a little further. It would appear that the boiler only leaks water and reduces the pressure in the system when the boiler is actually off and even then it only leaks for about 10 minutes - However, due to the PCB being directly underneath the boiler their is a good chance of the PCB frying as it gets soaked :( So I have removed the outer casing which trapped the water and got the PCB up and out of the way of any future leak (positioned buckets accordingly)

As I said the boiler only leaks when it is off - So I have put it on its minimum heat setting (one) and run it continously for the last 48 hours. It has run perfectly... No leaks, the house is like toast, perfect.

So now I'm thinking could it be a failed seal or loose union instead of a cracked HE?

Hope you've taken off no more than the white case.

So now I'm thinking could it be a failed seal or loose union instead of a cracked HE?
HEs are a fairly common failure on these boilers and iirc there are no joints/seals within the sealed combustion chamber.

Nope - Only the white casing which was trapping water around the PCB. Nearly 72 hours now without a problem :confused: Will get someone in when the cold snap ends.

baxi offer a fixed price repair service. Basically any fault, all parts and labour included for one price. usually about £250 ish. Probably less than the price of a heat exchanger. give em a call.

Good tip - Phoned Baxi and their out tomorrow for £289 fixed price with a one year warranty policy on everything except rads and pipes :D

Let's hope they can fix it - boiler finally expired last night...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back