Waterproof board ARGGHHH!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm whats what. i'm looking for a waterproof board for tiling onto. One that will NOT allow water to pass through, ie for tanking. Not just a board that doesn't matter if it gets wet which seems to be a big confusing mess with these manufacturers.

Looked at:

WEDI
MARMOX
HARDIBACKER
AQUAPANEL
GTEC AQUABOARD

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Wedi & Marmox are waterproof. Aquapanel & Hardibacker are classed as water resistant because they will absorb water.

Water resistant boards are, however, generally considered to give adequate protection without tanking in a domestic environment in all but wet rooms where water proof boards should be used. Water proof boards do not need tanking, just fill/seal the joins but use 12.5mm boards on walls not 6mm.

Gtec Aquaboard is a moisture resistant gypsum board &, like other MR PB's, not really suitable for wet areas unless you tank. Hope that helps ;)

Research your construction/tiling materials thoroughly to avoid expensive mistakes!

Thanks for the reply Richard C.

It's a shower in a wetroom. I've done the floor using Marmox and their showerlay preformed floor. Was going to do the stud walls that form the shower sides in 12.5mm aqua panel becuase of the availablity and size suits. BUT it may better to do the lot in Marmox?? What do you think???

Sponsored Links
Marmox is waterproof (impermeable) & is a good choice for a wet room floor. I use Aquapanel a lot in shower cubicles & around/over baths; its reasonably priced, does the job adequately & I’ve never had any comebacks. Aquapanel, however, is only classed as water resistant as it will still absorb water although remaining stable. Being a wet room, I think you may be best to stick with Marmox for the walls even if only on the bottom section, possibly with cheaper Aquapanel above where it's not subject to water saturation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back