Hardi, Marmox, Aqua or NMP ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking for some advice on what board to put onto a wall I am going to tile.

The wall is plastered with vinyl silk paint on it, I am turning the room into a wet room and the total area to be tiled is about 8sq M.

Tiles to be hung are 300mmx600mm Porcelain tiles

I wish to board the wall as the existing wall is quite uneven and there are pipes and wires that have been chased into the wall.

I am confused between the following products and hope you guys can advise on which one would be best for my situation. I want to do this job once and once only.

a) Hardibacker Board
b) Marmox Board
c) Knauf Aquaboard
d) No More Ply

Many thanks in advance of your replies

Sponsored Links
Just to throw one more board into the mix I would stick or dab (depending on how uneven the walls are) wedi board with rapid set flexi and then when its set screw it back to the wall using their washers.

Jason

Are you referring to Lafarge Aquaboard or Knauf Aquapanel? Lafarge Aquaboard is not a tile backer board, it’s a Gypsum based moisture resistant plaster board of similar specification to British Gypsums MR plaster board; it’s not suitable in your case.

Water resistant boards (but not plasterboard) are generally considered to give adequate protection in a domestic environment in all but wet rooms where water proof boards should be used. I advise you go with a truly waterproof backer board; Wedi & Marmox are waterproof; Aquapanel & Hardibacker are classed as water resistant because they will absorb water. Use 12.5mm boards; personally I would not use no more ply. Tape & tank all joints & corners as per manufacturers instructions.
With tiles that size/weight your need additional mechanical fixings (as manufactureres spec) do not rely on adhesive alone. Use a quality trade flexible powder addy/grout of the correct type for your tiles & only prime where recommended; do not use tub mix. Make sure your floor is suitably rigid before you lay the backer boards. Read the Tiling sticky & Tiling forum archive posts.

With tiles that size/weight your need additional mechanical fixings (as manufactureres spec) do not rely on adhesive alone..

Many thanks for your advice Richard,

when you say additional mechanical fixings I take it you are refering to the way the board is secured to the wall, not anything I need to attach the tiles with?

Sponsored Links
when you say additional mechanical fixings I take it you are refering to the way the board is secured to the wall, not anything I need to attach the tiles with?
Yes both the boards I qouted require & recommend additional mechanical fixings to the wall (in fact even the ones that dont do); nothing to do with fixing the tiles ;)

Yes both the boards I qouted require & recommend additional mechanical fixings to the wall (in fact even the ones that dont do); nothing to do with fixing the tiles ;)

spot on advice Richard, as per usual mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back