Levelling slight bows in marmox

Do you think the best option would be to start tiling ,possibly back buttering to take up the small bow, and see how they go on the wall ? (rather than the filling / damping option)
I would consider myself to be a very competent 'DIYer'

Sponsored Links
Even so, unless your experienced you will probably have more trouble levelling back buttered tiles than getting the tile base flat before you start. I have the experience but prefer to level out/fill where necessary with an adhesive skim. It’s quicker for me to go over the low areas & get on with tiling somewhere else while waiting for it to set, it makes the tiling much easier & quicker.

It doesn’t have to be perfectly smooth just flat & level; use an aluminium spirit level or straight edge as a gauge rather than timber which will absorb moisture from the addy.

This job seems to go from bad to worse, I have just cut the marmox to set the lipped shower tray into the wall and the dots of adhesive behind seem to come away very easily !!
I spent all day yesterday putting the Marmox fixings throughout the whole room (9 per board) but based on my findings with the adhesive should I double up on the fixings, just to make sure, or is 9 really enough ?
The tiles and addy weigh approx 32kgs per sq m.

Added : I have now put another 6 fixings on each board, hopefully that will keep it well & truly on the wall !!
Richard C : Which of the BAL range of adhesives would you recommend ?

This job seems to go from bad to worse, I have just cut the marmox to set the lipped shower tray into the wall and the dots of adhesive behind seem to come away very easily I have now put another 6 fixings on each board, hopefully that will keep it well & truly on the wall !!
What adhesive did you use? If it’s failing I'd make sure you’ve got plenty of fixings in there to hold it all up. I mostly use Aquapanel & always fix through the adhesive dabs to avoid cracking the boards; fixings around a 250mm x 250mm grid.

Richard C : Which of the BAL range of adhesives would you recommend ?
I usually use Rapidset flexible; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/rapidset-flexible
But if you want longer pot life then you can use SPF; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/single-part-flexible

Sponsored Links
I now have 15 fixings per 1250 x 600 board and yes they are through the dots under the board to avoid cracking.
i think that should be enough to hold the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back