Learning how to plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best way to learn how to plaster? Are there any good books, video's/DVDs that I can buy to teach me? Or has anyone got any links to some good sites that teach you how to plaster?

Whats the best surface to practice on? I haven't got any spare walls........... I heard you can get a sheet of wood (dunno if its ply or MDF) and practice on that.

I'm pretty good at DIY but I've never tried plastering.......... however I'm confident I'd be able to do it.

Sponsored Links
For backing coat use some lime mortar. i.e lime powder and sand. Because u can re-use it day after day just by re-mixing it. Ideal for practicing with.

Whats the best way to learn how to plaster?
I learnt by watching plasterers. It was easy for me cos being a plumber I would often work jobs where there were plasterers.
Dont know what you do for a living but it might be worth making friends with one and offer to 'knock up' for him on a weekend job or two.
I take the odd plastering job on and find it to be quite therapeutic.

Sponsored Links
Look at previous posts by legs-akimbo. Very informative.

I am a time served plasterer.Packed it in and became a heating engineer.Take my word for it,plastering aint theraputic.Its damned hard work, with no appreciation.

s999 said:
Whats the best way to learn how to plaster? Are there any good books, video's/DVDs that I can buy to teach me? Or has anyone got any links to some good sites that teach you how to plaster?

Have a try with the Gold Trowel DVDs. They do skip through the process a bit, but you can always re-wind and review again and again and again. They are no substitute for a proper trainer, but are better than nothing. Turn the sound off by the way, the background music is way too irratating - lift music on steroids!

http://www.goldtrowel.co.uk/

The main thing with plastering is getting the consistency of your plaster right, the 2nd thing is be confident and don't play with the plaster. It's hard to make a total disaster with plaster, but it's easy to make uneven walls. If you do just use filler, ot do it again.

I am a time served plasterer.Packed it in and became a heating engineer.Take my word for it,plastering aint theraputic.Its damned hard work, with no appreciation.
If I had to do it for a living I agree 100%. It would kill me.
To do it now and again I find is a pleasurable experience. The excercise I get is beneficial> its a bit like Tai Chi :LOL: and I get the buzz from creating a highly polished wall which will probably last a lot longer than me. You might think I'm a bit mad and I probably am but for me its a better hobby than being a train spotter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back