Silencing a Salamander Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where most of the noise is coming from -my wife moaning about it or the Noise from the Pump! Seriously I know that thes pumps aren't the quietest pumps. i intend to box it in with a 100mm air gap but I was wondering what the best material would be for creating some sort of sound deadening for the outside of the box?

Sponsored Links
The pump is a RHP 100 and is mounted upstairs adjacent to the airing cupboard in a void above the stairs. Salamander customer services stated that it can be boxed in provided there is a 100ml air gap all around the pump.

Sponsored Links
I would not take that advise as red, it will need at least 100mm from obstructions but it does not mean that you can box it in the issue as seco intimated it needs free air flow.

You can create an attenuator to quieten it which allows air flow but deadens noise but it cannot be enclosed, if you enclose it especially being an RHP if you get the motor windings to over heat then it is knackered from there onwards.

I think you will find that the cupboard might be more the issue, my guess is that it is plasterboard in general construction.

The RHP100 is probably the one of the quietest 3bar whole house pump you can buy.

Things that are worth doing,
a, under the pump first put 50mm foam or polystyrene insulation, then use a paving slab and rest the pump on top.
b, do not clip the pipework to hollow walls just put pipe lagging on them,
c, do not have 90 bends close to the pump on the outlet side.
d, put pillows duvets etc near the pump (nothing worse than an empty cupboard).
e, and probably the best idea ask the wife to move out!! does not always work but will save a lot of money.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back