Salamander Pump Problem(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had installed a Salamander RHP50 pump in our bungalow to boost our shower pressure. At first everything was fine but then the pump started making strangled screeching noises and also pulsing. There were also lots of black bits - looking a bit like swarf coming from the taps. We complained to Salamander and one of their engineers came and fitted a new pump on September 25. The inlet filters on the old pump were completely clear. This one shortly began to exhibit the same symptoms so we complained again and had yet another pump fitted on October 6. this one managed to work for all of 9 days before it, too began to make horrible noises and spew out lots of black bits - these coming, seemingly from only the hot output of the pump. On October 24 my wife had a shower without incident. When I went to showere 15 minutes later the pump didn't work and has not worked since! I checked the filters and they were completely clear although the kitchen and bath tap filters were well clogged up with the usual black bits. Neither of the two Salamander engineers had found anything wrong with the installation. It seems to me that the impellers on the hot side are binding then breaking up. There is nothing wrong with the water flows to the pump and the domestic hot water temperature is only 56 degrees. Salamanders reaction is to send me, by carrier, yet another pump and have offered no opinion as to what may be wrong. Any ideas anyone?
From Traumatised Tony (77) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
never had any problems with salamander pumps or service .
but even though its not costing you anything but by now i would of told them i want my money back and buy a stuart turner pump of the same bar etc.

Hi, Thanks for the advice, trouble is I am now desperate to find out what the b***** problem was/is. Also Stuart Turner pumps are so much more expensive.

as you say will be interesting to know whats at fault.
but at the same time get it sorted.

as i said never had any problems with them but after that problem i'd be
abit worried incase it happened again after warranty had run out.

Sponsored Links
The black bits are likely to be part of the pump impellor. Two possible causes

Whats your thermostate on the cylinder set to if its very high the impellor can distort and rub on the casing. Had a client that knocked the state off their cylinder and the hot melted the impellor solid

How is the hot fed, if the pump is being starved of hot water again the inpellor can melt, had this once on a pump which was starved due to an airlock

Both cases were not salamander but it sounds similar problem

Jason

The black bits are likely to be part of the pump impellor. Two possible causes

Whats your thermostate on the cylinder set to if its very high the impellor can distort and rub on the casing. Had a client that knocked the state off their cylinder and the hot melted the impellor solid

How is the hot fed, if the pump is being starved of hot water again the inpellor can melt, had this once on a pump which was starved due to an airlock

Both cases were not salamander but it sounds similar problem

Jason

if you read what the op has said then that will answer all your questions.

Thank You to Jason. Our domestic hot water temp is just 56 degrees so that shouldn't be a problem for the impellor and the hot cylinder is fitted with a 22mm Salamander flange so shouldn't be a problem with air locks especially as the first pump ran OK for a month or so and both the other two started off fine.
What I find strange is that Salamander have made no attempt to defend their pumps and have merely sent out new ones and that two different Salamander engineers have found no fault with the installation.
I am still toatally baffled and would love to fit a Stuart Turner Monsoon but we just can't afford it.

We recently had installed a Salamander RHP50 pump in our bungalow to boost our shower pressure. At first everything was fine but then the pump started making strangled screeching noises and also pulsing. There were also lots of black bits - looking a bit like swarf coming from the taps. We complained to Salamander and one of their engineers came and fitted a new pump on September 25. The inlet filters on the old pump were completely clear. This one shortly began to exhibit the same symptoms so we complained again and had yet another pump fitted on October 6. this one managed to work for all of 9 days before it, too began to make horrible noises and spew out lots of black bits - these coming, seemingly from only the hot output of the pump. On October 24 my wife had a shower without incident. When I went to showere 15 minutes later the pump didn't work and has not worked since! I checked the filters and they were completely clear although the kitchen and bath tap filters were well clogged up with the usual black bits. Neither of the two Salamander engineers had found anything wrong with the installation. It seems to me that the impellers on the hot side are binding then breaking up. There is nothing wrong with the water flows to the pump and the domestic hot water temperature is only 56 degrees. Salamanders reaction is to send me, by carrier, yet another pump and have offered no opinion as to what may be wrong. Any ideas anyone?
From Traumatised Tony (77) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

We are now on our fifth salamander pump in 2 years and have exactly
the same problem with the 'black bits' - did you ever find out what caused the problem?

To the unlucky person on their fifth Salamander Pump.
It is strange that you have just replied. Our fourth pump started playing up a couple of weeks ago. No black bits this time but we have great problems controlling the water temperature through bath mixer taps (no thermostatic control). It seems as if the cold supply from the pump is not performing correctly. I have emailed Salamander but have heard nothing from them. They did promise six months ago to send me a copy of the engineers report on our last pump but despite chasing them up several times I have heard nothing. Methinks they have something to hide!
How did they react to the pumps going kaput to the poor devils now on their fifth?
Regards, Tony Macdonald

TonyMacdonald";p="1672983 said:
To the unlucky person on their fifth Salamander Pump.
It is strange that you have just replied. Our fourth pump started playing up a couple of weeks ago. No black bits this time but we have great problems controlling the water temperature through bath mixer taps (no thermostatic control). It seems as if the cold supply from the pump is not performing correctly. I have emailed Salamander but have heard nothing from them. They did promise six months ago to send me a copy of the engineers report on our last pump but despite chasing them up several times I have heard nothing. Methinks they have something to hide!
How did they react to the pumps going kaput to the poor devils now on their fifth?
Regards, Tony Macdonald[/quote

We fortunately have an ongoing guarantee which we pay for annually. They are sending an engineer to see why this pump malfunctioned - and has now suddenly started working again - we live in Bournemouth it must be a Dorset thing !!!!!

To defend the "dorset" argument - I have fitted large numbers of Salamander pumps throughout most of their range and never had a problem with it in Bournemouth, Poole, Ringwood or anywhere surrounding :)

We do however have extremely hard water here - I wonder whether this could make the impellers brittle? Just a thought.

To Brypool

From Tony Macdonald

I would be very interested to hear how you got on with your visit from the Salamander engineer. Other plumbers have told me that they have never had any problems with Salamander pumps.

I have still not had a reply to my three week old e-mail to Salamander asking for advice.

I would very much like to know the reaction of Salamander to MrSalamander who was on his second pump in 8 months.

Regards, Tony

Salamander pumps are plastic rubbish..............not suprising they have finally launched a range of brass bodied pumps, only problem is the impellor is and internal working are the sames old plastic rubbish.........all that glitters is not gold (or brass in their case)............buy a stuart turner pump an English company established for over 100 years ...........its marginally more expensive at the outset (shop around you'll be suprised how competitive they are) but its fit and forget!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back