Salamander Pump Problem(s)

I have worked with Salamander pumps for years now, and it is a shame to hear some of the comments on this post, If any one suffers issues that are unresolved with there products then feel free to contact me and I will make sure that the outstanding issues are dealt with.

With out knowing the full history the installations mentioned jasonb and seco are spot on, I think that the engineer visiting have missed temperatures that are not stable and are eratic. cylinder stats are not accurate in holding a constant tempreture and the only time I have heard of this issue with plastic impeller centrifugal pumps is due to temperature.

If you are using your emmersion heater as well as your boiler to heat the water up check and change the stat, this is the most likley cause.

For the record Salamander pumps are harder to fit because of there design, but will out perform in flowrate at the same pressure as other competitors and are a hell of a lot quieter.

The offer is there if anyone needs help call me and we will get to the bottom of any issues.

I do not work for Salamander I am Independant and also advise and sell all other brands of pump so I have no reason to be biased.

http://www.salamander-pumps.com/

Sponsored Links
your on the ball technotim............sure your not a full time blogger for Salamander?
They sure seem to have something to hide and your response only adds to the speculation. there after sales service is also rubbish..........can even get through to their helpline...............its in India I think?

Grundfos & Techflow use centrifugal design pumps.........dont here of problems with their pumps and the shower pump Market Leader Stuart Turner doesn't.............they use perifheral design pumps mainly in brass design............they are extremely reliant, almost silent in operation and come with 5 years warranty................you gets what you pay for mate!

I've been installing pumps for over 30 years...............personally I wouldn't touch anything other than STUART TURNER, recently their products have been getting better and better with small design changes.........and now with five years warranty its a no brainer!

I am compelled to respond..... :D

Full time blogger for Salamander no!
Rather than India I think you will find it is in Sunderland actually!
Calling there main phone number and it is answered after a few rings!

both Grundfoss and Techflow (owned by Stuart Turner) do have exactley the same issues with centrifugal pumps ie they need to be installed by a GOOD plumber.

Stuart Turner do make good products and use the same motor manufacturer as Grundfos, Techflow, Oh And Salamander.

Stuart Turner sell more plastic ended pumps than brass ended!

By volume Salamander are the biggest manufacturer in the UK not ST!

Your quote of almost silent is amusing no pump is almost silent they all make noise and in tests that I have the quietest pump on the market is the RSP50 made by Salamander.

I have a sneaky suspition that you have been fitting pumps for 30 years but you are 40 years old :) If you have only fitted Stuart Turner pumps then mabey you should brush up on your knowledge and try another manufacturer. and then you might be qualified to give your appriciated opinion.

Interesting how many facts you know about the shower pump market and detailed information about the sales and volumes of the major manaufacturers..........suggests you are in fact a Salamander secret agent.........................or just a sad git (possibly both?)

Also very keen to have the last word.............a positive one for Salamander of course!

;) My advice is don't trust Technotim just tec..no..notice..of..Tim!

He's full of **** & little black bits just like his pumps!

Sponsored Links
i have new slamander pump since feb2011 and i have done everything salamander asked to do when fitting it they only thing left is the av couplers are not straight will this make a bit different as the second red light kepts coming on all the time with stateds water starvation in manual

It could do but only if it is bent more than a curve, really they should have no stress on them at all.

The water starvation light should really only come on when there is a restriction or as it states there is a lack of supply water.

If it is new and the Anti-vibration couplers are not bent acutly then call them and ask for an engineers visit or request a replacement product.

I would always ask whoever fitted it "are you sure that it has been fitted correctly" if they answer yes then call Salamander.

Now I was a "happy bunny" for 3 years after installing a Salamander RPH50 in the holiday cottage we let during the Summers. I installed it. I don't want to offend any plumbers who read this but I wanted the job done right and needed to ensure it had a trouble-free operation. I'm an experienced graduate mechanical engineer so I read all the technical specifications, did the maths and installed it with a Techflange in the cylinder, etc. Pump is only required to boost to the bathroom shower and sink/bath taps.
Worked a treat, as I said, for 3 years. Got a call this week from the guests: Shower not working and flow from taps is poor. Yep, I confirmed the pump was operating intermittently also seemed a bit noisier than usual. Got the pump out and stripped it down to investigate. What a mess! One impeller had just about disintegrated and welded chunks of itself to the housing and the other was suspiciously following the path to the same death rattle.
Bummer. Out of warranty! So ordered new impellers from Salamander. While waiting for these, I thought I'd check the filters in taps and shower mixer valve. Plastic particles everywhere! (If anyone knows how to get the filters out of a JT Thermostatic Shower valve for proper cleaning, I'd like to hear from you.)
Now this is the interesting bit. The replacement impeller from Salamander has an obvious manufacturing fault. I'd guess it has been manufactured by ultrasonic welding the two injection moulded halves together. But it's not a good weld over all the impeller vanes. In fact, I could slide a piece of paper half an inch between one or two of the vanes that are supposed to be solidly welded. No point fitting defective components. I called Salamander and they're sending me two more. Not holding my breath for a fix here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back