Just read about restore points being deleted..

Sponsored Links
Your question is rather vague but do you mean that restore points are being deleted at random or is it the oldest ones being deleted?

A % of your hard drive space is set aside for storing system restore points. When this space is full, the oldest restore point is then removed automatically to make room for the newest.

There could be a little more to this.

MS say :-
...Restore points are created automatically every day, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually...

Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies) answered the following Q re: XP
>How do you set when XP creates a Restore Point its automatic restore points? I have a PC and the restore points are further apart than I would like. I would like them every day.

They ought to happen every day *if* there is a suitable idle period for
the process to start. What happens is that 24 hours after the last one
Task Scheduler (which must be enabled) sets SR to look for a period when nothing has been going on for (by default) 15 minutes. It then triggers the making of the next point. This waiting for an idle period means that constant CPU background tasks will prevent points being made. You can reduce this 'ThawInterval' for needed idle time from the 900 seconds if you want by a registry edit of the value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\System Restore ...

I have found no daily 'System Checkpoint' for a particular day if there was no 15 min mc idle period during that day, 24 hrs after the last time based checkpoint - ie. mc on - use in some way - shutdown after use. So the 'missing' point - by time and date - never existed.

-0-

If you have had a recent malware infection, it's safer to delete all system restore points then create a new one anyway. You wouldn't want to restore your computer to a time when it was suffering from a malware infection , would you?? ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
I created 2 restore points. I had checked they were successfully saved at the time. then were gone about 6 weeks later... no other newer restore points were listed. totally baffled ..
seeing as i had my "ass kicked" i am going to do a system image.
thanks all all of you for the feedback

Back