Weepholes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping you can help again!

What specifically should I use for weep holes in a retaining wall? Someone mentioned copper would degrade, albeit over a long period of time. So shall I use the equivalent plastic pipe used in plumbing, or a type of waste pipe? And should there be some kind of membrane to cover the end so the back fill gravel doesn't fall down it? Or I thought about covering that bit with rubble. As you can see I am not sure.

I don't know what I'd do without you lot - thank you for any help!

Sponsored Links
There are lots of alternatives that you can use.

A good place to start is www.cavitytrays.co.uk they have a whole range of weep hole utilities. A simple plastic pipe of say a 50mm diameter is ideal, however is the wall in a prominent place? If so something a little more visually acceptable would be better such as a small weep hole. Another point to remember is that staining from a metal pipe is inevitable.

An alternative to the weep holes to remove water is a granular fill (french drain of sorts) on the inside of the retaining wall with a fall leading to a drain point built into the new section of wall. This however will depend on the amount of pressure from the soil/ground that you are retaining.

A layer of geotextile matting as a membrance fixed to the wall on the side to the retained will help to prevent blocking of your weep holes & reduce staining from any material held within the water. This is available from most DIY centres or building merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back