How to slow down flow to tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on how to stop a tap soaking all my guests.

In our downstairs toilet, since the cold water was switched to mains pressure we now have a cold tap which can send water once around the very small basin and about 3 feet into the air. This is sufficient to soak a small child and seriously distress an adult.

While soaking kids can be entertaining, the trouble is that my daughter always repeats a long list of everyone else this has happened to and my wife feels this is getting embarrassing.

So, how do I stop this happening? If I put a service valve in and turn it half off, will this work or will it just be smaller volume but equally high pressure?

Should I put a pressure reducing valve in all the downstairs cold water feeds?

Your suggestions will be very welcome.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Best bet is probably a conventional stop tap (washer type) below the tap in question. This can be adjusted to restrict flow (and dynamic pressure) without generating noise or affecting other taps.

I would hesitate to put in a pressure reducing valve. I have one (it's got a little pressure guage on the side) to control pressure to a shower mixer and washbasin in our guest room. As we don't have guests every day I usually find it's jammed shut when we try to use the shower, and I have to twiddle the presure screw to get it working.

Perhaps I should put this is a new post.

Sponsored Links
Eezy peezy Just use one of theezy:
Flow Regulator Ball Valves
These valves are designed to maintain the flow of water at a steady rate, even as the pressure varies. Compression x compression, DZR nickel plated full bore isolation
ball valve, screwdriver operated, PTFE seat.

17527.gif

go to http://www.bes.ltd.uk/
and search on 17527 and you'll seee the inserts. For a small basin 6l/min maybe - but you can measure yours to see what you want

Thanks for the link ChrisR, but at over £7 with insert and VAT included, these things are a bit pricey to be fitted regularly as isolating valves. I might get some inserts just to see if they might fit in line with a cheap isolating valve.

While soaking kids can be entertaining, the trouble is that my daughter always repeats a long list of everyone else this has happened to and my wife feels this is getting embarrassing.

yep ........get a different wife. shes lost the plot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back